What's new
What's new

New member with 9 inch model C? and questions of course.

lentuk

Plastic
Hi everyone,

Just bought my first lathe, South Bend 9.
Thought this would be a good place to ask questions and chat.
Serial number is 66683, 1936???
Does this "horizontal drive unit" (piece that the electric motor bolts to) look correct?
I have been searching the web for pictures of this unit and cant seem to find one like it.
4.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

I have a 1950s model C 9 inch. The drive on mine is very different. I would be careful about running the spindle in the high ranges with the size of motor pulley you have. They are a lot bigger than mine, unless you have a low RPM motor the top speeds may be excessive for the plain bearings.
More knowledgeable members may say it is OK. I would be interested in knowing the top safe RPM, it may be like your car, if you drive 120MPH it will not last as long, if you only do it occasionally it does not make a difference.

The motor and its pulley are on the wrong side.

Only issue I can think is that the chips flying could get on the belt.

Also, the pulley on the motor should be a single sheave, as the opposing pulley is only a single diameter.

You can find all sorts of doc here:
The SBL Workshop - Home

See here for an original setup:
scan0001.jpg

Steve

The early workshop models came with a non-adjustable drive unit. Someone converted yours to an adjustable by building that lower plate, and adding the handle between the headstock and countershaft. It appears that they did a good job, so I would not touch it. The original layout is visible in this catalog: scan_(0)

allan

"It appears that they did a good job, so I would not touch it."

That's the problem, it does not work well, the the tension adjustment bar rides on the top of the motor, its also seems to be too much weight or tension on the drive belt.

So when changing speeds on the original 3 step lathe drive pulley setup, you just slip it to the next pulley by squeezing and sliding it over?

Ya, someone has put it together backwards,don't know why. It has the reversing switch so motor rotation is not an issue. May have had something to do with where the machine was set up before and didn't have room for the outboard pulley so moved it inboard. The pulley looks a bit large, but I'm thinking it's a perspective issue because it looks like an original cast pulley. Should work alright the way it is set up. Only draw back is no quick change gear box. :codger:

"It appears that they did a good job, so I would not touch it."
That's the problem, it does not work well, the the tension adjustment bar rides on the top of the motor, its also seems to be too much weight or tension on the drive belt.

Then you need to slide the mounting foot for the countershaft backwards, or get a shorter flat belt. Adjust the tension bar to suit.

allan

Nice lathe and welcome to the forums. I see what you mean by the tension rod resting on the motor. You may be able to drill the attachment hole of that rod on the countershaft a little higher. This may give you the clearance needed. As everyone saifd it's a home made job and the motor is mounted on the wrong side, but it is very well thought out. I wouldn't use the larger slot on the motor pulley only the smaller one thats on it. The bearings on these years were not really meant to take that speed. Only the later segmented type were. Also what is that small lever in front of the backgear shaft lever going to in the third picture down?

Nice lathe and welcome to the forums. I see what you mean by the tension rod resting on the motor. You may be able to drill the attachment hole of that rod on the countershaft a little higher.

Flipping the motor around may take care of that.

Steve

I did that last night, the rod just is not working right.
I think I will scrap the swivel stand and mount everything like RedhillWorkz picture.

Another question,
The motor has old cracked exposed wires, I have a newer Dayton 1 horse motor with the same RPM (1725)
I have absolutely no idea of how to wire an electric motor.
Can someone share a link that shows how to wire the Dayton to the reversing drum switch?

Last edited:
[QUOTE Also what is that small lever in front of the backgear shaft lever going to in the third picture down?[/QUOTE]

It seems to be a locking cam type lever for the back gear.

Back