What's new
What's new

New member here with pics

budman68

Plastic
Hello,

I just signed up this evening after finding this forum(very nice informative place here by the way). I recently picked up this South Bend Model A, catalog number C644Z 3-1/2' bed. Can anyone let me know a little more about this lathe as I'm not familiar with these. It's in great shape but it will need a new "flat" belt for the drive pulleys as it's beginning to crack a bit. I'd like to know the year and if there was possibly anywhere I could find a manual for it. It will make a great addition to the shop!

Thanks in advance-

I'm giving links to the pics as I saw that the forum likes to keep the image size down a bit.

pic 1
pic 2
pic 3
pic 4
pic 5

Dave

Nice machine. You apparently also got 3C collets
by 64ths - that's a real coup. Also the lathe
has the larger direct reading dials, another
plus.

For those kowledgeable about SB, the question
I would pose is, when did they make the reverse
tumbler operable with the spring-loaded lock,
rather than requiring the wrench? I always
though using a wrench to change feed direction
was a pita, and they obviously felt the same
way.

But then mine was war production board vintage.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I just found out that this is a 1966 model. Was there any sort of collet stop made for the 3c's?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Nice lathe! Aloris tool post too! Cool! The C644Z catalogue number works out:

644 - 9" Model A, 12-Speed, HMD bench lathe - NAR
The "Z" means 3 & 1/2 ft. bed. The NAR will be part of the serial number (on the bed at the tail stock end); N - nine inch, A - quick change gearbox, R - regular spindle through hole and standard swing.

But I bet you already know this. Anyway, enjoy your "new" lathe.

-Blue Chips-
Webb

Thanks so much Webb, actually you gave me more info that I didn't have and it's definitely appreciated.

Mike: I appreciate the link and you got my hopes up but unfortunately the link isn't working? Possibly it's just temporary(hoping!)?

Thanks again!

Dave

Dave,

I tried the link this morning and it worked okay! Remember it's a pdf file so you need Adobe Acrobat to read it. If you can't get it to work, I'll email it to you. It's the same manual you would get from South Bend but also includes all the attachments that they made for it.

Let me know either by email or via this board if you can't get it and want me to email it to you.

-Mike

I tried it again and the link is still not working for me. I noticed it's a secure website, is it possible you have to be a member of that particular site? I've never had a problem downloading pdf files before. I even used the "save target" option and it could find the server. I really would appreciate the file if you don't mind emailing it to me. How big is the file?

By the way, I sent you an email as well.

Thanks so much,
Dave

Hey Dave!

Finally getting around to seeing your pictures! Outstanding! Best of luck with it. But... where's the guitar in the pics?? :)From one newbie to another, welcome. Ain't this place great??

Mark

LOL! Thanks Mark, I'm having a ball with it. It's already proving to be very useful. By the way, you have a PM!

Dave

Back