What's new
What's new

New member and new to me Southbend 10L from Feb 1942

propeine

Plastic
1zogbw5.jpg

This old war iron has been sitting neglected in my friend's conditioned garage for ~10 years. Before that it was his grandpa's. Because it had sentimental value he wouldn't "sell" it to me. However when I suggested we move it at least over the winter to somewhere it would be used, my conditioned garage, he said said sure. The thing is I know damn well it will be at my house for the foreseeable future as he already has plans for the space it took up. I started cleaning it up last night but obviously have a long way to go. The power feeds work, the light even worked. It has a 3 Groove V-Pulley on the motor instead of what I think was the more traditional 2 groove.

10L x 4ft w/ taper attachment and collet adapter. 1 3/8" bore. I have to raid his garage and see what other accessories might be laying around because right now it doesn't have a typical chuck and it has a weird rigid setup instead of a compound slide.

Interested on info on the 4-Way tool post that replaced the top slide as well as any suggestions on removing the collet adapter. It unfortunately doesn't have the thread protector so I can't back the nut off to pull it out. Began soaking in PB Blaster last night. I'll need to find a 4 jaw, a steady rest, and a compound at minimum. Hopefully my buddy already has those items in a box somewhere but if not I'll be on the hunt for them on ebay or here.

2z7gy94.jpg

2hy88yg.jpg

Also I got the collet adapter out last night with a bit more penetrant and some elbow grease. Continued working on cleanup. There is about .060 backlash in the cross slide at the moment so some further inspection might be required there as well. I can work around it for the time being though but need to get a chuck and compound on there first.

I think this is how you're supposed to use these things 20151102_233613.jpg
Savage sporter 25-06 barrel with 1/2-28 threads. Cross feed only for the time being.

Back