What's new
What's new

New Old Machine Time

bloomautomatic

Cast Iron
Picked up a 9" Model A from HGR in cleveland as part of a larger purchase of parts. Paid about $600 for it with the misc. tooling. The rest of the items in the bundle were a great deal, so this was gravy. It is missing the banjo gear - I think that's the 33KN 80 tooth, and the half nuts. Half nuts aren't much of a concern, but I will need to get the gear to drive the gear box. If anyone has a spare, PM me.

The serial number indicates about 1945 (159670). It has the war production tags on it. Overall condition is good. Can still see the frosting on the far end of the ways. Lathe is mounted to a table sitting on wood blocks. Motor is 110V 1/2hp. It may be a candidate for 3ph replacement. Has a Skinner chuck. I turned a piece on it using the lantern tool post and it worked. We'll be switching to a quick change tool post at some point also.

Has a drawer full of random parts. Cutters, drill bits, chucks, wrenches, clamps, etc. Some fit it, some don't.

The picture doesn't show the scale, but in the drawer was a 1-1/4" wrench and a Jacobs 20N Super Chuck. Not what you'd typically use on a 9" south bend. The jacobs has a broken jaw, so it will need some work. Fortunately, I can use those on the big Monarch N.

This was bought for use in my maintenance shop to supplement the Monarch. Most of the bigger stuff will get run on it. The SB will be used for any of the small projects.

Also included is a general pic of our "machine shop" area. We aren't machinist, but we can make parts and get equipment running again. Usually we are doing emergency repairs, but we've had a few projects we've built up. The latest was making bronze bushings for c.1920 crane motors.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/bloomautomatic/albums/south-bend-9a-1945/

V

Back