What's new
What's new

new to the site, need some south bend 13' help

toolman5256

Plastic
Hi everyone, my name is Kevin. Im new to the whole world of mills and lathes. Im an Electrician and have been for almost 14 yrs. I use to build medical and video trailers but now i build overhead cranes.

I recently was given a Southbend 13" turret lathe. Owner just wanted it out of there. But i'm missing a few parts. For one im missing the saddle. Secondly im missing the top of the turret, but that's ok i think i can just use this with a tail-stock. Im searching for a saddle if anyone has one that will fit and would like to sell it please let me know. im also missing that bracket that is at the end of the lead screw.

A couple of questions please. is the 16" southbend essentually the same machine as the 13? i saw a youtube video that said that. and secondly will it hurt anything if i install a singlephase motor instead of the 3 phase motor and a vfd? Can anyone tell me about what year this lathe was manufactured? here are some pics of what im working with,Thank you for any help
lathe serial #.jpg3c3cd466-71d3-48db-9ca6-45be95ec2eca.jpg3c405c81-75dd-4361-9d54-e486bd5d7bec.jpg60fa31d5-1176-4c1e-b978-455eb02ea340.jpg75e0fd40-3ac6-48af-ab2a-9cfe445ed432.jpg

Hi toolman,your lathe has the late model X-brace bed and probabaly has hardened ways, given the "x" in the serial # suffix. Based on the serial # itself, the year of manufacture is about 1965 (give or take a year). Member Steve Wells could pinpoint better.
Congrats on your first lathe...looks like many hours of fun ahead! I don't see the quick change gearbox in any of the pics. I hope you got it with the lathe. Is your motor a 2 speed or single speed"?
In regards to your question of 13/16 compatibility....there is nothing compatible between the two. Design is the same, but, they are two different beasts, size wise. If you do find a saddle there is "fitting" work to be done to the ways and to the apron (gear mesh). Lots of bright people here who can offer good advice. Good luck. PB

{secondly will it hurt anything if i install a singlephase motor??}
sure you can use a single phase motor if its the right HP and RPM

If the three phase motor is there, get the VFD and save the expense of a plus 1 HP single phase motor (my s/n 6715TKX13 came with a 1.5 HP 230/460/3/60 motor). You'll be able to tune a cut by tweaking the speed pot, obviously not available with the single phase motor. Too bad you are not closer to SoCal. I have a WWII vintage 13"er that I need to part out...

John

I would also suggest using a VFD with the three phase motor. I have done this several times, and am very happy with all of them.

Off topic, how many Packard guys are on here?

Marc

Back