New South Bend Lathes - Page 11
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I noticed you were using 2 pc jaws on one of your photos, Does this ship with 2 pc chucks or the solid chuck? I'd much prefer 2 piece chucks having discovered the convenience and precision of soft jaws not that long ago.
    The 5" chuck has reversible jaws. It's the most accurate chuck I have ever had.

Also what is your feeling on having a single lead screw do double duty on threading and power feed?
    It's very common on the SB's and has probably been done for many generations. There is really no downside to using the screw as a power transmission shaft. The clutch protects it from being overtorqued. It's just sitting there, turning anyway, and the feed power requirements are modest compared to the spindle.

Have you cut threads with this lathe? Is it sufficiently convenient to use? My current lathe ( a cheap chinese one) requires me to mess around the banjo changing gears by hand. I invariably drop something on the floor and get it covered in oil and chips that I have to spend time cleaning.
    There is no realistic comparison between the 10K and any of those things I saw in WT's showroom. They make an @[email protected] look good. I started to laugh and couldn't stop and they asked me to shut up or leave. Wobbly die cast handwheels, slop and backlash everywhere, and just generally a do-it-yourself project. For my purposes, doing a lot of facing, if a lathe does not have good power crossfeed it is completely useless to me. A good deal if you are bored, and want to restore a lathe, I suppose, but if you are going to do all that work, you may as well buy an old hulk found in a barn, and use this Forum for rebuilding advice, and end up with a lathe.

I find it very convenient to use for threading. The DRO helps a lot, though. Once you use one you never go back. The quick change tumbler gearbox has been a feature since my 9" Model A. The only time you have to manually change a gear (Easy) is when switching from English to Metric threading.

2. Likes old_dave, ramv liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update. I ordered the OEM Base for the 10K. This will free up the ugly but rugged McMaster machine table for use in our other shop for foundry work. More importantly, it will give me neater tool and accessory storage and generally be a morale booster, making the place just look cleaner and neater. Their prices have been reduced a little. That must have worked because they are on backorder and the thing won't be here till the first week of October. So, I like the lathe enough to now make it look like the picture. And I have no problem throwing a little money to the US company that makes them, either.

About $1,400 with tailgate delivery.

4. Likes old_dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, this is much better. Nice storage, a bit more compact than that grey McMaster table, and easier to keep clean. The workmanship and finish is very nice. Now that the 10K's prices have dropped, I suggest not doing what I did to save a few bucks.
    Work is more pleasant.

newbase.jpg

6. Likes RF, old_dave, ramv liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update: Mine is up and running for about 9 months now.

I am very pleased with the quality and performance. The factory 3 jaw chuck TIR is about 1 thou. The only issue I have remains the motor and the spindle speeds. That is about to change.
    I just bought this:

It's a 2500 RPM which will be very nice.
    Transplant surgery will be soon. Then on to the DRO.

Robert

8. Likes JRaSa, michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you J.Rolf, for posting this thorough & well written thread.

Your positive review & user experience convinced me to purchase a 10K last Friday. I sold my Smithy CB 1220 of 22+ years in the morning & pulled the trigger on the SB in the afternoon.

I am a hobby machinist & welder & looking to go to the next level. I do not have the skills you all have on this site, but I am eager to learn.

Hopefully, I can tap this site for know how...& in time contribute back to the community.

I plan on starting a separate thread to chronicle my progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Techee - where in Colorado are you? I'm in Greeley.

Paul

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Paul, I am in Littleton

Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, folks it has been fun. It appears for whatever reason, that Grizzly has stopped selling the SB 10K. They seem to be gravitating more and more to the larger machines business. So this thread now only serves the purpose of historical entertainment. For my part, I am glad I got my two SB10Ks. They are working every day and making me a living. I hope the other individuals who made a decision to buy one based on this review are equally happy. For the price, I think the first one was fair, and the second one a steal.
    It was fun while it lasted!

13. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for taking the time to review your lathes and provide solid information on the new South Bends. I wonder if it a sign of the times, South Bend lathes arrived at a time in history when a lot of people did things for themselves, businesses, the war effort, etc. The modern means of hobbies, home businesses seems to have shifted towards electronic and computer driven devices. The smaller machines may not be as popular now.

Thanks for sharing,
    RF

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The end of the SB 10K

Quote Originally Posted by RF View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to review your lathes and provide solid information on the new South Bends. I wonder if it a sign of the times, South Bend lathes arrived at a time in history when a lot of people did things for themselves, businesses, the war effort, etc. The modern means of hobbies, home businesses seems to have shifted towards electronic and computer driven devices. The smaller machines may not be as popular now.

Thanks for sharing,
    RF
    I think there will always be a place for people who turn cranks to make or rework a part. More likely, Grizzly has been competing against itself with the small South Bends. Look at the specs on this Grizzly they sell, and ignore for a moment where it is made.

1" x 22" Bench Top Metal Lathe | Grizzly Industrial

Note the price.

Years ago, I saw some lathes that were made in That Place at Wholesale Tools' Store that used to be here. I would not have paid $8 a ton for them. Like it or not, though, the quality has been constantly improving. Just as Japan started out exporting garbage like popguns made from inside out Pabst Blue Ribbon cans, then, when no one was looking, came the Toyotas and cameras, etc. that killed some American cities. The quality improvements I have seen especially in the last ten years is impressive and a little disturbing. There are many things we just gave up making, and I fear small machine tools is becoming one of them.

16. Likes Paolo_MD, old_dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ATTENTION!!! ALL OWNERS OF THE NEW GRIZZLY VERSION OF THE MODEL 10K!! As you know, we have bought two of them, and theyare working daily in our business. Regrettably they are discontinued, as you can see from the above posts. THE STEADY RESTS FOR THIS MACHINE ARE BEING SOLD AT CLOSEOUT fo less than $200. If you own this machine, grab one now or forever hold your peace!!! Grizzly has them listed on the Specials! It's a beautiful unit.10krest.jpg

18. Likes Techee, old_dave liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Steady Rest

Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Bought my steady rest two weeks ago.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm assuming these aren't compatible with original later model SB 10k's and 9A's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are compatable...on a 9" will just have less capacity.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice photos Robert..now for some lathe projects..

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could live with a bit less capacity, I'd prefer micrometer adjustment over the flat finger setup.

I'd like to know overall capacity, to determine how much is "lost" assuming that bottom of the steady radius sits higher than the 9"? Anyone know exactly how they compare?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you have a 2.5" circle and you cut off 1/2" from the bottom of it...the area left will now house a max 2" circle...but I have the flu so...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^
    Which is why I asked if the new steady from Grizzly is the same capacity as the 9" (or old 10k for that matter).

My 9A is 3". For all I know, the Grizzly could be 3-1/2", or 4" ...nothing would prevent that. In that case, little or nothing is lost compared to what I currently have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is slightly over 3"...same as the old ones basically....I can bare
    Y see and the words are running together..

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    They are compatable...on a 9" will just have less capacity.
    Not to forget that since the jaws are meeting above the spindle centre line you will also lose some capacity for small diameter work.