What's new
What's new

New South Bend Lathes

newt

Aluminum
I am wondering what is comprable to the South Bend that is being made today? I know that SB's are offered through the Grizzly catalog but are they as good as an orignal. If not what is? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Newt

I am wondering what is comprable to the South Bend that is being made today? I know that SB's are offered through the Grizzly catalog but are they as good as an orignal. If not what is? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Newt
Grizzly bought the SB name and designs awhile ago and has them built in Taiwan. I hear they are a fair quality
lathe, but at a premium price. Grizzly calls SB a separate company, but that is simply paperwork. There are much better machines out there for less money IMHO.

Yeah- it's been asked before, and its a flame war we are tired of having. How about we just nip this thread in the bud.

allan

So How do I search for this topic? I went to the search area and tried New SB than I tried Grizzly South Bend Lathe and I could not get nothing to come up?

Newt

The new South Bend #1001 8x10 lathe looks good.
The ways are very similar to an old South Bend.
I have called South Bend's office to get a list of owners but they couldn't give me any one who bought the lathe. It would be nice to talk to someone who has used the dam machine.

The reason nothing comes up, is that although the new 10k has been up on the website for over a year, there's no evidence that any have ever shipped. Same for the 8" model, as well. So, there's very little info available as far as reviews. The new designs address some of the shortcomings of the originals, an updated version, if you will. Quality-wise, it's anybody's guess, but I would be surprised if it weren't at least the equivalent of the original. There are few companies making conventional, quality lathes, of less than 13" swing anymore. Emco makes a 12", Standard Modern (one of the only North American manufacturers of manual lathes) makes a 13", and I've heard that if you've got an extra $60,000 or so, Hardinge will build you a 10" HLV. So, it's easy to see why small, used SB lathes are so popular.

Yeah- it's been asked before, and its a flame war we are tired of having. How about we just nip this thread in the bud.

allan
If you have a problem with the post report it to a moderator.

In my experience on many other forums it's self appointed MODERATORS like yourself that start and fuel most flame wars.

Rule of thumb is that if the question has no interest to you, the question has been asked before and you have no new/constructive answer just move on.

Ken,
don`t take Allan`s comment personally. truth is, he`s 100% correct and was relaying the fact.
also one of the more helpful contributors here.

so far no reports of anyone having one, and until then it`s a worthless topic.
hopefully, that will change soon, so stay tuned. :)

Chad

Supposedly Arthur.Marks has ordered a new 10K, so perhaps he will provide a report when it arrives. There was some discussion (and much mis-information) about it over at HSM.

allan

Supposedly Arthur.Marks has ordered a new 10K, so perhaps he will provide a report when it arrives. There was some discussion (and much mis-information) about it over at HSM.

allan

Ain't that the truth!
Half the stuff posted in that thread was complete BS, I don't really believe any of the guys on the HSM forum know much at all about South Bend the company or its products.

I do look forward to Arthur's report though!!

I am seriously thinking about purchasing the new 10K (OK :^) the owners' review is good.
I would build my own bench, using a Boo's Brand butcher's block top with a vintage set of cast iron stands and install some heavy-duty ball bearing drawers for tool storage under the top.

Last edited:
I think you mean 10K. I doubt you will be able to get the new Heavy 10 without a cabinet.

allan

That is correct. The new Heavy 10 is listed as coming this Fall, but the reality it is at least a year away.....maybe 2.

I am very surprised that they actually went to the trouble to recreate an old lathe, they will probably never recoup their costs. I think it is a great thing but it makes very little sense considering the cost of doing this. 10 grand will buy alot of lathe right now, I would never consider spending that much on an obsolete design when there are so many better options

Truthfully the new SB 8x18 looks like a very nice little lathe, emphasis on little. I just wish that they had priced it a little more reasonably for a 250lb lathe. Or at the very least, included the SB stand and a few extras. It is just very hard to ignore the competition at that price point and below. The PM 11x27 Weiss machine comes to mind for well over a 1k less fully loaded with large bore option.

Has anyone seen a "new" SB Turnado lathe? I have two of the "older" SB Turnados that were manufactured in Taiwan about 8 years ago (just prior to SB dissolving and getting picked up by the owner of Grizzly) that have worked very well using them ~20 hours per week since purchased new and I would like to add a third. But I'm curious if the quality is similar, if replacement parts would be the same, and if they are still being manufactured in Taiwan.

If you don't have personal experience with a new SB Turnado, please don't reply to my post, as the last thing I'm looking to do is stir up an argument about the quality of the "new" SB lathes compared to others; I'm only trying to assess how the value of the "new" ones compares to the "older" ones from 7 to 10 years past.

Thanks!

Mike

I have ordered a new 10K and it will be delivered Monday, September 16. I bought it on Amazon, of all places, because of free shipping, and at present, no Sales Tax. (This will be over soon)

Be assured I will be telling the World about my impressions of it. It is for my business, and it will work hard. If it lives up to the performance of the old ModA 9", or even approaches it, I'll be happy.
Yes, it's not made in South Bend, so it's On Probation. And, yes, for a couple of thousand less I could have bought on made Youknowwhere. But I SAW them in Wholesale Tools showroom.
No Thanks. Not for $8 a ton, not in my shop.

The one I bought was the last one Amazon had in stock, and they will have new stock as of today, so SOMEONE has been buying them..They are just not talking about it here, I guess.

Yes, retooling from 1-1/2-8 to D1-3 will be a pain because I have special fixtures I use for my products, but I have already started on that.

That Mod A I bought for $275.00 twenty years ago and rebuilt and refurbished has made more than a million dollars in products.
Anything I buy has some big footprints to walk in, and a lot to live up to. We'll see.

I have ordered a new 10K and it will be delivered Monday, September 16.......Be assured I will be telling the World about my impressions of it.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it, I have often wondered about the quality of the newer machines compared to the old myself. I am nowhere near buying a ne machine but the curiosity is still there.

Looking forward to some real hands on real world experienced review of the new machines!

Thanks,
Joe

Back