What's new
What's new

New Southbend 9" Owner

Rodm1

Aluminum
Hi everyone! New southbend owner here. Just picked up a 1938 9" model c with 4.5" bed, as far as I can tell. Serial # 82366. Came with a quick change collet holder and 14 3c collets and a boatload of tooling and accessories.
Previously owned for over 40 years by a machinist and in great shape for her age. Will need to do a light rebuild as it sat for a number of years, but still had free movement of components and slick to touch.
Already replaced the wire as it crumbled upon disassembly for transport, but don't feel comfortable with condition of wiring in motor juntion, so will most likely upgrade to something a bit newer.

Here's a few pics of my new to me machine-

20151127_133101.jpg

20151127_133055.jpg

20151127_133310.jpg

20151127_133034.jpg

Jealous over here. You've got as much value in accessories as the value of the lathe itself. Get yourself a quick change tool post and you'll be downtown.

Jealous over here. You've got as much value in accessories as the value of the lathe itself. Get yourself a quick change tool post and you'll be downtown.
Thanks. I was trying for a lathe with QC gearbox, but either the price was astronomical, lathe in horrible disrepair, or already sold. Quite happy with my purchase for $600. What you don't see is the 5 boxes of bits, pieces, and stock that filled the cabinet its sitting on.
Shars qc tool post and live center are ordered, as well as, restoration book and rebuild kit via ebay. Also ordered Vectra #2 and Velocite #10. I have access to other oil and lubriplate at work.
My immediate plan is to get it up and running for use.
I eventually may get some additional chucks for turrets, but only if i see a real need.
Paged thru your thread. Any pics of entire machine?

Where did you get restoration book n stuff.I just bought the same lathe and I need any and all info on it.

Back