What's new
What's new

New Used Lathe

big_i11580

Plastic
I recently got a 13” South Bend Lathe on an auction. I got it for $600 with a 3 jaw, 4 jaw, face plate, collet closer draw tube, a live center for the tailstock and a taper attachment. It doesn’t have hardened ways but oh well. After the buyers premium tax and hauling it home it ran closer to $1000. I’ll need to do some cleaning and the cross slide and carriage has quite a bit of backlash. I was looking at buying “A Guide to Renovating the South Bend Lathe Models 10L 13 14-1/2 16” by Ilion LLC. Good book? Worth buying? Any others you would recommend or not needed? I saw a mention that Ryan Battelle’s website was really nice but the link goes to Time Warner Cable. ? I tried putting it in my browser and the same thing happened.
http://home.roadrunner.com/~rcbattelle/lathe.html

DSC04902L.jpgDSC04908L.jpgDSC04909L.jpgDSC04910L.jpgDSC04912L.jpg

I recommend that you purchase the book along with the felt kit. The felts in the apron on lathes of that vintage are usually rotten, and the oil reservoir is loaded with swarf and mung. Take it apart, clean it up, re-felt and lube it. You'll need a tie-bar and clamp for your taper attachment as well. Nice find. Good luck with it.PB

2nd that, the book and felts well worth the $...
for me, from cleaning & refelting to +paint was small step.
had zero impact on machine's precision but sure make's a
difference in my attitude. SB seems to get just a bit more
attention and care. Course, you are posting to a group that
thinks SB's float on water. Also this group is absolutely the
best tool for SB junkies. Good luck and EXCELLENT find.

Good luck, this group

Back