What's new
What's new

taildragger

Plastic
I am purchasing a SB 10 Heavy this week after waiting a long time to find the right one. It has a taper attachment and some other tooling. I am going to be transporting the lathe in the back of my truck and will have to cut the leather belt to separate the cabinet from the lathe so that I can fit it in the truck under the camper shell. I have read the threads on serpentine belts and think that is what I will replace the leather belt with. Is that still the best option and what adhesive has worked best long term?

I am a retired aerospace test engineer and could have tested belt samples using an Instron or Tinius Olsen Tensile tester back in the day but I no longer have access to them.

My wife and I built a house on 40 acres outside of Salida, Colorado and I have a 2200 sq. ft. shop that is insulated, heated, and has a bathroom. I am very lucky!

I have a Bridgeport and a large Japanese lathe already but have always wanted a South Bend Lathe. I will post photos when I get the lathe home.

This is a great site that I have been reading for quite some time.

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to offer.

Tom

why not use a trailer?

as for the belt, IMO forget splicing an automotive belt...much better options now.

get a new synthetic with metal clipper lacing from Baltimore Belting or Al Bino.

Oh, almost forgot...welcome to the madhouse! :)

Thanks Diamond for your response. I have two trailers but I have to drive a long ways to get the lathe and am unsure of the weather I might encounter which is why I would load it in the truck instead of a trailer. I will research the belts you suggested.

Thanks again

Tom AKA Taildragger

Diamond -

I looked at the Al Bino website and there are two options. A belt that is metal laced or one that requires glue. Which one is recommended by the South Bend forum members?

Thanks

Tom

I have the one that gets glued on my SB13 ; about 5 years now . No problems . Very smooth .
It used 2 different glues for the two different plies of the belt .
Follow the Al Bino measuring instructions carefully . This belt is not going to stretch .
I was sloppy measuring , and had just enough adjustment to install the belt properly . Almost too short .

either way you go-metal clip or glued, the Baltimore or Al Bino is the way to go.

I prefer the metal clipper style, the belt itself will likely last a lifetime and if you ever have to move it again just unclip it and go.

Some guys find the slight click as the metal clip running over the pulleys annoying...I found it pleasantly reassuring, let me know all was well.

I've been up one side and down the other on the belt discussion for the Heavy 10. I never found an adhesive that would last reliably and I went with the serpentine belt (ribs down) laced with 100# test monofilament line using South Bend's recommended lacing patter. (See How to Run a Lathe)

Once I discovered that you must PUNCH the holes for the laces and not drill them, I've been running with a laced belt for about 5 years now with no trouble at all.

Lacing the belt it not difficult and it works very well.

Back