What's new
What's new

Newbie has questions on 1919 South Bend Lathe

jerrysvw

Plastic
Hi Lathe Techs

I have never worked with a metal lathe at all only an old wood lathe we turned into a crankshaft and camshaft polisher, so forgive my ignorance on Lathe Knowledge but would appreciate any assistance you could offer.

I picked up an early South Bend Lathe which learned WOW little heavier than the old Harbor Freight Machines. The company closed down and the machinist who ran the machine was no longer there so when I purchased it I looked around for anything that might go along with it but I have a little time to go back and look for anything I am missing since I don’t know.

IMG_1535.jpgIMG_1534.jpgIMG_1536.jpgIMG_1542.jpgIMG_1559.jpg

I have read some about additional gears which all the gears that are attached to the lathe look complete unless there should be separate gears for changing but I am not sure what I would be looking for and the problem is there was lots of misc gears all over the place because it was a printing shop, so I would need to know what exactly Im look for but I don’t know the model lathe I have.

I did some homework and this is what I “think” I know about it

• Brand: South Bend Lathe
• Serial: 19268
• Year: 1919 (which is soooo cool, love of iron)
• Chuck: It measures 13inches OD cannot locate a name?
• It has: Turner Machinery Co. Lathe Power Conversion, 3-speed gearbox Uni-Drive
• It has: Allen Bradley drum switch reversing Model No. 350 Part # 350- AAV32

Came With
• Over 100 cobalt cutters
• Cool tool box
• Lots of other attachments that Im not sure what for yet

Some of the questions I have are:
• What model is it?
• Swing?
• Is there anything visually missing?
• Is there additional gears for the lathe that are not attached as I show but sold separately or came with the lathe I need to go back and look?

Any help would sure be appreciated and I am very excited about my lathe!

Thanks Jerry

That chart tells you what gears you should be looking for. Remove the end cover and see what gears you have on the screw and spindle. The chart tells you how many teeth each gear has. Looks like you need a about a dozen gears.

If I were you I'd take a gear off the end and use it as your gauge, grab any gears you find that mesh with your lathe gears, if they are a bit wider then fine or more narrow can be made to work, you never know when you might want to generate an odd pitch thread, they may come in handy. The regular set would have been about 13 gears not including the feed gears that will usually be the ones attached to the lathe.

Back