What's new
What's new

Newbie introduction: renovating a SB 9" under cabinet motor lathe

Ebby1600

Plastic
I've done some work on Rockwells and Sheldons but never owned my own lathe. I found a 'nice' 9" UMD Model A to restore and this amazing forum. But my inexperience allowed me to overlook some issues. So in the three days owning this lathe here's what I've found.

The first issue was the lathe wasn't a running lathe. It has a 1/2HP GE motor with a 3/4" shaft and a two step pulley that doesn't have a key way but the motor shaft does. So, I think the motor is junk and it's the wrong pulley. Form 921 in my parts list doesn't even show any 3/4" two-step pulleys but there are a few on eBay. Which is correct? I do not know.

Second, after closer examination a tooth is broken off the back gear. That problem is solved. Luckily I found a fantastic back gear on eBay.

Next, the under cabinet belt tensioner is missing the turnbuckle and left hand threaded end piece. No luck at Grzzly or eBay. I posted a wanted thread so if a member has those parts I'm interested. Otherwise I'll fabricate parts. It won't be original but I want to use this lathe.

Lastly, for now, I don't know what belts it needs. The parts list was no help. The V-belt has "Gates3400" on it which may be correct according to another source I found in a Steve Wells PDF document on his site. The drive belt that came with the lathe is definitely wrong because it is 2" wide. I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be 1" wide but I can't find a resource for how long.

Currently the lathe is disassembled and tagged,the motor is being looked at by a motor shop and I'm checking eBay daily for parts. As I progress I'm sure I'll find more issues.

I've restored lots of other items and am not discouraged at all. It's actually mentally stimulating and fun. I appreciate the existence of this forum and will post updates on my progress.

Thanks for having me.

Ebby
Camden, NY

I have no idea if the belts/lathes are all exactly the same, but my 9A with UMD motor has a 62" long, 1" wide flat belt.
Good luck with your restoration. I am 60% into my own 9A rebuild project.
Chris

Back