What's new
What's new

Newbie in over his head SB 9" A

kilroyjones

Hot Rolled
I recently got a SB 9" model A lathe from a refinery that was being demolished for $100.

I was wondering if there is a place where I can download a manual for this model?

The lathe came with a milling attachment, and I was wondering if this was something SB offered or after market. Thanks for your time, I am sure I will have many more questions.

KJ

Hi KJ,

The closest thing to an "owner's manual" you can get for your lathe is the Ubiquitous "How To Run A Lathe" by South Bend Lathe. It isn't model specific, but it does cover basic lathe operation from a South Bend Lathe point of view. I don't know of a copy available for download but you can get a copy from Lindsay's Books

Lindsay's Books

South Bend Lathe did offer a milling attachment for the 9 inch lathes as well as other suppliers (Palmgren made a popular one). If yours fits in place of the compound on the cross slide, then it is probably a South Bend milling attachment.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Thanks for the information. Haven't tried fitting the milling attachment yet. Still trying to get the lathe set up.

I would suspect that it is a SB mill attachment, becuase the lathe came with just about all the tooling possible. Taper attach.,2 and 3 point steady rests, collets and several chucks and dogs.
There are a few things I can only guess what they are for. Looks like some custom tooling for whatever purpose.

KJ

Hi KJ,

I forgot about the U.S. Army Manual that covers the 9 inch SBL (short for South Bend Lathe).

Army Lathe Manual for 9 inch SBL

It is more of a parts manual than a user manual but this should get you started. If you look throught it, you will see a parts beakdown of the milling attachment as well as every other accessory SBL made for the 9 inch lathe.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Because nobody else had made the comment, I
would say you got a great deal. For example,
if the milling attachment is the stock SB one
(does it have a round cylindrical boss on the
bottom to allow it to mount in place of the
lathe's compound slide?) then you should
check to see what those *alone* sell for
on, say, ebay.

The tooling is possibly worth more than the
lathe itself!

Jim

With all the help and information I have gotten, I took another look at the lathe.

It is a SB mill attachment, missing the crank and jaws. Or maybe I just haven't found them yet. The lathe has the V-belt drive, which I thought was a nice feature. Also found a brand new back gear with the original SB instruction sheet. You just don't get much for a $100 anymore :rolleyes:

Thanks again for everyone's help...
KJ

KILROYJONES,

You have obviously been ripped off! I will be glad to take the whole thing off your hands before it causes you any more headaches. Please contact me, and I will give you a shipping address where you can send everything to.

Back