What's new
What's new

Newby (with pictures)

fairmountvewe

Plastic
Hi all. By way of introduction, I am Peter. I have a small farm in central Ontario, and by some strange quirck of fate, I stumbled across this at a yard sale. Like it says in my profile, my hobby is fixing farm equipment, but the last machine work I did was in high school a LONG time ago.. This is all essentially new to me, but I am pretty handy, and not afraid to break things in the name of science.

First the good

IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_5578.jpg

so, as you can see it is a 9 inch B serial number 27244 NBR 9. It is not complete, there is only one extra gear (stamped 72), some tool holders, a couple of keys, and a whole bunch of tool steel blanks but more on that later.

Now the bad

IMG_5580.jpg

So I need a new drive assembly. Or at least a new pulley, but the shaft is bent, so by the time I get the shaft straightened, a new pulley etc, etc, I may be better off buying a whole new drive setup. Yes? No?

Now the ugly.......tons of questions

Where can I get oilers from - there is only one surviving oiler with lid on the whole affair
Where can I get a set of gears for threading from
How do I take the chuck off
Are gear covers available anywhere (I would rather not get caught up in all that whirling goodness)
Is the rebuild kit/manual currently offered on e-Bay worth the money
Anyone near Peterborough willing to wander over a help out (for a suitable supply of "helping out" fluid :cheers:, of course)
Is there a set up manual or set of specs available
What newby questions am I missing

Thanks and hope to hear from one and all soon

I just saw a large pully on ebay for $75. I know from the same experience that with a bit of patience, I was able to buy a whole drive assembly for very little more. Getting the large pulley off the shaft can be a real challenge. So given the pain and agrevation factor, I was happy I went for the whole unit. Hope this helps.

If you haven't already, you definitely need to go here! I'm guessing from the s/n list it's probably early 1920s, and would be a top oiler. I have a friend with one from about the same time period. Should clean up nice!

If you look around you can almost buy the A model gear box and leadscrew for what a complete set of change gears cost.

You can however purchase change gear sets from Plaza machinery, he's on the net, look and then give him a call, you can probably get everything you need from him.

I converted my 1943 B model to an A model with a used gear box and lead screw, after that all you need to do is drill and counterbore a single hole in the bed of the machine.

Oilers can be had from McMaster Carr, the mfg is Gits.

Good luck!

Well thank you all for the replies. I have my eye set on a drive currently on E-Bay, and short of that, I have the local bearing place able to come up with an alternative. It would be cast steel as opposed to cast aluminum, but what the heck. So where are these A model gearboxes that everyone mentions? I have been lurking for about a month, and I have been on E-Bay watching, but nothing much seems to come up that is handy enough to shp to Canada. Lots of stuff from Lithuania, or Patagonia, but nothing from upstate New York. Hmmmmm. I did read on a thread that Gibs (sp?) was the go to manufacturer of oilers, but the one I ...ahem... extracted from the drive assembly was not threaded, and all Gibs (again, sp?) had listed was threaded versions. Am I missing something? happy campfires to all.

oilers and gits cups

you should look for South Bends book How to run a Lathe, also McMaster-Carr
has oilers and gits oil cups....

What you have there is a very useful "workshop" lathe it is a B model.The B can make threads that an A model cant make without extra gears. It also has the power feed capability that the C model doesnt have.I have a B sitting behind my 13" tool room lathe.I dont intend to part with it.You will need the gears,but the machine is a very desirable one.If you find a turning gear(used on the C model)you can have even finer power feed.I have made some very fine things on my model B.

Hi all. As Chesapeake intimated, I actually have completed the rebuild of my little project. I added a QCGB and lead screw from an A, found the motor drive unit, and have mounted the whole thing on a mobile bench where it happily shares space with my EMCO FB2 benchtop milling machine. I am at work right now, but I promise. Pictures to follow. And I did get that chuck off - but not before busting a bunch of teeth off the back gear!!!!!Doh!

As promised - pictures

IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg
IMG_0809.jpg

So far I have made a couple of machine jacks, an ER25 collet chuck, numerous bushings, and about 50 or 60 lbs of chips. Lots to learn, but lots of fun.

IMG_0799.jpg

Back