What's new
What's new

Noob with a 9

hmolwitz

Plastic
Hi
For some unknown I purchased South Bend 9 lathe, I am largely unfamiliar with this field but would love to make some chips at some time...

It is a 1937 or so and has been in use for much of that so I am sure it has some issues.
It has the QC gearbox and power feed.
It is marked 409AN with a 4' bed

I noted it appeared to be missing some plugs from the cross slide, little holes marked cleverly "OIL" As the little screws were missing I assume that swarf has been collecting in these and washing into the key working parts for years.

I noted about 1/3 turn of play in the lateral slide handle which I assumed was bad.

I then proceeded to crank it through its motion, as the slide approached the far side it jammed, I am unable to return it, the handle slipped, I removed the handle and noted the bolt securing it was not original.
Short story, I would like to disassemble, clean and restore the cross slide, is there a guide for disassembly of this?
I would like to avoid causing further damage. :)

Thanks

Harry

20171125_202446.jpg

that is not the "usual" 9"
It is what is loosely termed "wide bed 9" and is more closely related to the "heavy 10"

bet you simply ran the cross slide off the end of the feed screw...put the crank back on and pull on the back of the cross slide and turn the crank.

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the help!
I got the crossfeed off the apron, giving me an unfortunate view into the apron with loads of turnings. Pretty easy once I got the two screws into the apron out.
Enough for today, I will try to find a specific link on the crossfeed disassembly, and clean and restore that, I want to start with something manageable.

Looking at the book links.

Harry

I removed the saddle, then I was able to remove the collar for the knob, unscrew the acme shaft. I was unable to remove the gib as the gib screw was boogered. After much application of a 3lb hammer I was able to drive the slide off the saddle. after a thorough cleaning and examination the only part that seemed unrecoverable is the nut for the leadscrew, there is quite a bit of play, and very little of the thread left, I would like to replace that. The collar lost a bit of thread to the oil fill plug at some point, but that should not cause any issue. After I see what the bolt and nut look on slide handle I may want to get the correct nut and bolt for the crossfeed handle.
The travel on this is quite stiff by hand even after cleaning, is this normal?
I can attach photos if there is any interest.

Thanks!

Harry

One more...
I tried to capture the damage to the nut, I was unable to get any bite on the gibscrew at all after a very brief effort. I found the nut on ebay at a ~reasonable price and ordered up the book, should be here shortly.

I was unable to locate the nut/bolt for the handle for the crossfeed.

20171201_094513.jpg

normally I would encourage getting the book, however for your machine it will be of little value and will pnly really apply to the apron and gearbox and that info is readily available online.

it is also possible the cross feed nut off eBay will not fit and may require some modification to work...along the line as SB made improvements and modifications to the design there was a slight difference in the height of the nut as I recall.

as far as binding, does the adjusting screw fit tightly in the gib slot?

Thanks for that, I see the gib is tapered, there is a bit of play where the gib screw fits, perhaps I could shim that should, it be snug?
I was able to tease the gib screw out there was a bit of undamaged slot near the edges.
I am now working to disassemble the slide, does the feed nut just press out on that?
It looks like if I force that nut out I can disassemble the slide and clean it.
When I removed the handle I see that it is pinned to prevent rotation, I will try to see if I can replicate that on the crossfeed handle to lock the handle properly.
Is there a source for those spanner nuts on the feed handle?
Harry

Yes, the screw should be a good fit in the slot.

also the compound nut does press out AFTER you remove the set screw/bolt sometime takes a little finagling to get it out, and they are often a bit stubborn after 80 some odd years.:) pics of your compound will be helpful though to verify as the were a couple variances IIRC...my eyes suck too much to tell what you have.

Verify the dimensions on your machine but I believe your machine is the same as this spanner nut-
South Bend 9 1k cross feed or compound spanner nut PT295NR1 | eBay

it's a cool machine, I actually prefer the bench and overhead drive machines to the under drive ones.

Got the crossfeed and slide all apart cleaned and mostly back together pending the nut. A bit of an assist from the book, the slide was slow to come off of the base, and I was getting impatient...
The locks on the slide were a bit mushroomed so I hit them lightly on the grinder so I could set them back in.
Question on the milling attachment PO (previous owner) appears to have put together a base for an Atlas 10-501 Milling attachment to fit the T-Slot in the slide, but he did it in Aluminum, it does not look all that robust, is this a worthy thing or need I flog this bit on fleapay?

Thanks

Harry
20171203_213533.jpg20171203_213900.jpg20171203_214003.jpg20171203_214117.jpg

Back