What's new
What's new

Not a SB, but what an awesome looking beast....

What Ries said. There is currently a Reed Prentice brochure that lists that style of machine. Looks like they painted it with a mop and broom! Nice chunk of iron broken off the tailstock leg also.
I'm a fan of Reed Prentice for part time use. Solid old machines and yes that tailstock is pretty heavy.
The ways are often soft so they usually have noteworthy wear. The newer versions (war era)generally sell for half that price and are far better for the money. I would personally save for something that has a spindle speed of something faster than 500rpm.

Ebay

I'll bet the tailstock weighs darn near what my whole lathe does...
Not much info to be found on this. Anyone?

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/152859822705

Ummh.. 20" is only a medium. One place I worked, smallest swing on the entire line was a 22". Depends on what a business does and needs.

Weights?

The 4-Way TP on a 50" or 72" - or the chuck - could also "weigh as much as your whole lathe does".

Some of the cutting-tools I've had to use could weigh as much as a watchmaker's lathe.

We'd reasonably expect all that stuff to sorta "scale" - up OR down, would we not?

PM does.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...80-inch-lathe-250434-post1853993/#post1853993

Ummh.. 20" is only a medium. One place I worked, smallest swing on the entire line was a 22". Depends on what a business does and needs.

Weights?tt

The 4-Way TP on a 50" or 72" - or the chuck - could also "weigh as much as your whole lathe does".

Some of the cutting-tools I've had to use could weigh as much as a watchmaker's lathe.

We'd reasonably expect all that stuff to sorta "scale" - up OR down, would we not?

PM does.d

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...80-inch-lathe-250434-post1853993/#post1853993
That's a interesting history on that lathe. Off subject. Poor pictureimage.jpg
I have an old Cincinnati. With a 21" swing 10' between centers 430rpm max that I'm getting cleaned up.
I thought it would make a good drive shaft builder. The mess was when moving into building and trying to get things straight.

How do you get a good finish on a large diameter part on a slow lathe?

I bought it for 500 and could have got about 800 in scrap. About 1930's runs smooth but caught weather.

That's a interesting history on that lathe. Off subject. Poor pictureView attachment 220995
I have an old Cincinnati. With a 21" swing 10' between centers 430rpm max that I'm getting cleaned up.
I thought it would make a good drive shaft builder. The mess was when moving into building and trying to get things straight.

How do you get a good finish on a large diameter part on a slow lathe?

I bought it for 500 and could have got about 800 in scrap. About 1930's runs smooth but caught weather.

That Cinnci sounds AWFULLY familiar to the runt on Galis' line, early 1960's. Predecessor to the "tray top" IIRC. Too-often my own mount before I had built-up any seniority on-shift.

Somewhere in my debris field may still sit a wore-out 21" or 22" Black Diamond "long angle lathe bastard" file that answered part of your question about finish. Doubt they even still make them that long or large, but those were essential kit, that shop, fabric roll abrasives over wood backstick the rest of it.

That Cinnci sounds AWFULLY familiar to the runt on Galis' line, early 1960's. Predecessor to the "tray top" IIRC. Too-often my own mount before I had built-up any seniority on-shift.

Somewhere in my debris field may still sit a wore-out 21" or 22" Black Diamond "long angle lathe bastard" file that answered part of your question about finish. Doubt they even still make them that long or large, but those were essential kit, that shop, fabric roll abrasives over wood backstick the rest of it.

You are dead on. The patent numbers I researched tell me the gear box was the same as the tray top. The casing casting changed in appearance some. Basically about 1925 to about to the hydro shift era. Not much information on the early years.
They did change the position of the rack and pinion shifter. Mine is on top. The tray top they flipped it over to make the top flat.
So you did some hand finishing. I do have a big bastard file I bought at a sale. Very coarse. I have using it on body work. Probably dull as hell
The gearbox looks good. Looks like a little condensation rust in there. I think that's common.
I may attempt to make a lead screw on my south bend specks just to learn threading. I don't need one though. I'm struggling to get things set in my new shed. I Overloaded my old asser.

So you did some hand finishing.

"Some"? Three USWA card-carrier shifts of us, dozen-plus per shift did more hand-finishing than not. 90% or so over corn-cob DC stick-weld cutback.

One old plain-bearing Niles of 30-odd inch swing had two thou of "climb" and drop-back in its spindle bearings on lighter work. Had two bearing fits on a 6" or so shaft that had to have four-thou of total ellipse filed-out, spindle STOPPED, then polished neat.

Usta be all in a days work "company" lathe or mill for tens of thousands of us, nationwide. Wages according that made waste of labour cheaper than rebuild of machinery a major part of what drove that. And that any Machinist of the era, after all, knew how, HAD to know how, and had to know "when".

Nothing exceptional about it, my case.

Is a part of why we Old Farts get grumpy when a 30-something bitches his modern tinkertoy won't split a thou and deliver a mirror-finish, one pass, inserted Carbide tooling.

We don't want to send him back to filing and abrasives.

We are just jealous-grumpy 'coz we never had machines nor tooling even ten-percent as GOOD.

:)

"Some"? Three USWA card-carrier shifts of us, dozen-plus per shift did more hand-finishing than not. 90% or so over corn-cob DC stick-weld cutback.

One old plain-bearing Niles of 30-odd inch swing had two thou of "climb" and drop-back in its spindle bearings on lighter work. Had two bearing fits on a 6" or so shaft that had to have four-thou of total ellipse filed-out, spindle STOPPED, then polished neat.

Usta be all in a days work "company" lathe or mill for tens of thousands of us, nationwide. Wages according that made waste of labour cheaper than rebuild of machinery a major part of what drove that. And that any Machinist of the era, after all, knew how, HAD to know how, and had to know "when".

Nothing exceptional about it, my case.

Is a part of why we Old Farts get grumpy when a 30-something bitches his modern tinkertoy won't split a thou and deliver a mirror-finish, one pass, inserted Carbide tooling.

We don't want to send him back to filing and abrasives.

We are just jealous-grumpy 'coz we never had machines nor tooling even ten-percent as GOOD.

:)
I worked about five years Asa machine adjuster on envelope folding machines. We did a lot of bushing shimming. On the run repairs. Keep it running,keep it running. We did repairs right on Saturday when they weren't paying operators and machine hourly rates didn't apply. I once rounded out two 2x4's and clamped them to a shaft to keep the slop held back. I hated working like that but you were getting the evil stare if your machines weren't running. Life on the production line. I miss the roar of all that action going on. I'm almost deaf now. Machines were 60 ' long and fly knives cut flaps, 2Print units, die cut window, applied patch on window,glued on flaps and folded and delivered on ba conveyor for an operator to inspect and box. We had two or three machines to keep up. Juggling act. I liked it. never two days the same.
You get cast iron in your blood and bleed all over it sometimes.

I worked about five years Asa machine adjuster on envelope folding machines. We did a lot of bushing shimming. On the run repairs. Keep it running,keep it running. We did repairs right on Saturday when they weren't paying operators and machine hourly rates didn't apply. I once rounded out two 2x4's and clamped them to a shaft to keep the slop held back. I hated working like that but you were getting the evil stare if your machines weren't running. Life on the production line. I miss the roar of all that action going on. I'm almost deaf now. Machines were 60 ' long and fly knives cut flaps, 2Print units, die cut window, applied patch on window,glued on flaps and folded and delivered on ba conveyor for an operator to inspect and box. We had two or three machines to keep up. Juggling act. I liked it. never two days the same.
You get cast iron in your blood and bleed all over it sometimes.

Cousin by marriage in South China was a famous Artist and Cadre "mayor" equivalent of a medium-sized village. Had put his company van and driver at our disposal, took a visit to his source of income. Printing multi-colour, multi-lingual, instruction manuals.

Among other kit? An ancient salvaged and imported "Baumfolder" that I was way to Hell and gone all too damned familiar with keeping sweet. Asked if we could fire it up for nostalgia's sake. You know how they sound..

He looked a bit sheepish, said no. Not convenient. It wasn't Wednesday.

Seem he had no electricity to his print shop. Except on Wednesday when it was his paid-for turn for GI's at the local PLA garrison to make their rounds, a Chinese Army Diesel gen set in tow.

"Communists?" My ass. That's only a hood-ornament. Natural born entrepreneurs, rather!

"Is a part of why we Old Farts get grumpy when a 30-something bitches his modern tinkertoy won't split a thou and deliver a mirror-finish, one pass, inserted Carbide tooling."

LMAO....

Cousin by marriage in South China was a famous Artist and Cadre "mayor" equivalent of a medium-sized village. Had put his company van and driver at our disposal, took a visit to his source of income. Printing multi-colour, multi-lingual, instruction manuals.

Among other kit? An ancient salvaged and imported "Baumfolder" that I was way to Hell and gone all too damned familiar with keeping sweet. Asked if we could fire it up for nostalgia's sake. You know how they sound..

He looked a bit sheepish, said no. Not convenient. It wasn't Wednesday.

Seem he had no electricity to his print shop. Except on Wednesday when it was his paid-for turn for GI's at the local PLA garrison to make their rounds, a Chinese Army Diesel gen set in tow.

"Communists?" My ass. That's only a hood-ornament. Natural born entrepreneurs, rather!

A lot of those old press like old lathe's are still in use doing specialty work.

A lot of those old press like old lathe's are still in use doing specialty work.

G'Dad & his elder Brother were both printers - all types. Folk look at a "consumable" sheet-metal-mostly Gestetner or Meihle sheet offset and think THEY are durable, even when degraded by wear and neglect to less than half their design speed.

Meanwhile, Big Iron web offset can put a powerful strain on a building's structure yet easily run a hundred years at full-gallop.

Major users had the staff to see to it.

A friend's Dad was a Machinist. Worked 40 years, Pittsburgh Press newspaper, in house, full-time - just keeping their equipment sweet.

G'Dad & his elder Brother were both printers - all types. Folk look at a "consumable" sheet-metal-mostly Gestetner or Meihle sheet offset and think THEY are durable, even when degraded by wear and neglect to less than half their design speed.

Meanwhile, Big Iron web offset can put a powerful strain on a building's structure yet easily run a hundred years at full-gallop.

Major users had the staff to see to it.

A friend's Dad was a Machinist. Worked 40 years, Pittsburgh Press newspaper, in house, full-time - just keeping their equipment sweet.

There were machinest working steady keeping the presses going. Countless bearings. Lot of lathe work for them.
I started in rotogravure 6 color 60" web. 2 stories tall. Printed heat transfer and wood grains for Formica.
Thn 4 color web Offset process printing press for Harland check printing co. scenic checks& bank notes
Then the envelope folding machines was flexographic printing which is lower quality printing. You could still get a good product.
Printing company's use to rotate from 1st to 2nd to3rd shift every two weeks. Screwed with sleep schedule

Aye, "screwed with" and printing. Old bed-partners, those are.

Lost G'Dad and two friends in the industry to what we had not known in time about Benzene glaze-breaker used by the gallons.

Before msds sheets were available we used methyle Ethel keytone as a thinner. We basically took a bath in it. tyluolene also. Misspelled. I used that glaze breaker in offset printing.
Printers use to get get a lot of chemical exposures. I have already fought one stage 4A cancer battle. I don't know of any other cancer in my family.
They can bury me in a hazardous waste site.
Most of us over 60 have a lot of chemical exposure. My city cousins use to chase the ddt mosquito sprayer down the street.Early 60's. I know because I was with them once.

They can bury me in a hazardous waste site.
HAZMAT incinerator cremation, here.
Most of us over 60 have a lot of chemical exposure. My city cousins use to chase the ddt mosquito sprayer down the street.Early 60's. I know because I was with them once.

Vintage 1945, worse-yet. Inhaled DDT all season, Bayside Naval Air Station, early 1950's. Worked with Zumwalt on getting that first round of aid to 'nam vets, Dioxin kilt him. Youngish, too. Our notes figured I'd had more of it than he had. Same again Trichlor. Scrubbed in it, (Chlorothene-NU) mining & rail repair machine shop. Later, in 'nam, scrubbed, string-mopped floors, even had our uniforms warshed in whilst operating Oxygen plants. Over 100F, ambient, Long Binh, any lube oils or even skin oils, person could flare if not detonate, pure Oxygen got at yah under pressure.

And yet we live. Genetics for one thing.

Younger generations worse-off as they've become, it just has to be greedy food processing, packaging, and life-style. Digging early graves with their own teeth, as it were.

No sugary Cola's here. "Blacken" my fish or char my steak, find yerself slow-cooking its replacement or going unpaid.

Canola Oil? Comes in this house, it leaves the kitchen same day to clean hands dirtied by Old Iron.

Wife knows which Avocado oil or such I prefer, that Irish butter don't make you fat, and to NOT serve no damned dishwater of "lowfat" milk, neither. Full octane from Jersey cows, rather. We are mammals, after all, not flood coolant skimmers!

Salt? Spare me! There is some around here somewhere for the sidewalks, winter time, otherwise not. Food ain't "bland" without salt. Delicious, rather. Gots to let burnt-up taste buds recover from the daily nuke'ing is all.

Junk food culture? Junk health follows.

HAZMAT incinerator cremation, here.

Vintage 1945, worse-yet. Inhaled DDT all season, Bayside Naval Air Station, early 1950's. Worked with Zumwalt on getting that first round of aid to 'nam vets, Dioxin kilt him. Youngish, too. Our notes figured I'd had more of it than he had. Same again Trichlor. Scrubbed in it, (Chlorothene-NU) mining & rail repair machine shop. Later, in 'nam, scrubbed, string-mopped floors, even had our uniforms warshed in whilst operating Oxygen plants. Over 100F, ambient, Long Binh, any lube oils or even skin oils, person could flare if not detonate, pure Oxygen got at yah under pressure.

And yet we live. Genetics for one thing.

Younger generations worse-off as they've become, it just has to be greedy food processing, packaging, and life-style. Digging early graves with their own teeth, as it were.

No sugary Cola's here. "Blacken" my fish or char my steak, find yerself slow-cooking its replacement or going unpaid.

Canola Oil? Comes in this house, it leaves the kitchen same day to clean hands dirtied by Old Iron.

Wife knows which Avocado oil or such I prefer, that Irish butter don't make you fat, and to NOT serve no damned dishwater of "lowfat" milk, neither. Full octane from Jersey cows, rather. We are mammals, after all, not flood coolant skimmers!

Salt? Spare me! There is some around here somewhere for the sidewalks, winter time, otherwise not. Food ain't "bland" without salt. Delicious, rather. Gots to let burnt-up taste buds recover from the daily nuke'ing is all.

Junk food culture? Junk health follows.

We do live in a chemical world. It's a wonder there aren't children being born with three eyes. I didn't buy chips and soda for my kids. Now they don't buy them for their kids. Healthy habits are passed on. It will come back to haunt mankind. All the processed food today. 1960's a loaf of bread lasted a couple days and was edible. Now last a month and is tasteless.

Back