What's new
What's new

writing under belt cover plate

1yesca

Stainless
ok so i have a 10 heavy that i have been cleaning up and paining i removed the zink lub plate and there is some writing under belt cover plate from the best i can tell it looks like it is [ 187VN3 ] then under that [RV4 1/2 ] then under that [65N3 1/2 ] last line under that [187R4 1/2 ] cat no. is 199ZN 3 and 1/2 ' bed S/N 143724 UB10L made 1943 org. owner usn east coast torpedo station . replacing org 1-7/8" spindle with a 2-1/4 " so any ideas about the hand writing in pencil would think it was done at south bend before it was installed

002.jpg004.jpg006.jpg

appears to be catalog numbers for various incarnations of the "heavy 10"

why its written there is anyones guess.

ps- the "v" is actually a "y",= 3ft bed

South Bend had a paper production card that went with the lathe during production (ie, the "Serial Number Card"), so no need to write anything on the back of the tag by the factory. Most likely, it was written by someone who was repainting it during its previous life. He most likely was painting more than one, so the need to identify which tag went where.

If it were mine, I'd repaint the part and then reproduce the numbers and writing the best you can
with maybe a sharpie. Stuff like this is part of its originality.
Vintage auto restorers go to great lengths to reproduce factory made calk and pencil marks.

PMc

South Bend had a paper production card that went with the lathe during production (ie, the "Serial Number Card"), so no need to write anything on the back of the tag by the factory. Most likely, it was written by someone who was repainting it during its previous life. He most likely was painting more than one, so the need to identify which tag went where.

you may be on to something there as this machine has the war time finish tag on it also it looked to be gray but when i got it had a coat of green paint on it and it was put on with the machine apart as the undersides of the head stock , saddle , apron , gear box and tail stock were all green now it sports a coat of rustoleum oil base smoke gray

Back