What's new
What's new

Off topic, How to ship a lathe cabinet?

Heavy10

Plastic
What carrier should I look into about shipping a lathe cabinet? I found an original south bend lathe cabinet for my Heavy 10 with the 4 1/2 foot bed. Only problem is its located in Pa and I'm in Ms. So what would be the most economical way to ship it?

Heavy10, I just had a Blanchard grinder shipped from Pennsylvania to Los Angeles, California.
I used a broker recommended by the dealer I bought the machine from.

Their name is Parfrey, (800)533-9517
Joanne is the lady who took care of us.

It cost us $815 for the nearly 6000lb machine. It was tied down properly with corner protection and tarped. The machine arrived undamaged with all the accessories intact.

The entire thing went smooth as silk. I would not hesitate to use them again.

Les

Les,
Thanks for the lead. I'm always looking to add to my list of reliable freight brokers (quite short at the moment).
Unfortunately, such brokers tend to quote by deck space (square footage used)rather than weight (within limits.)
In the case of a Lathe cabinet, they'd likely want what you paid for the grinder.
My recommendation would be http://www.freightquote.com
This is a job for an LTL carrier.
The size vs. weight of a cabinet will be tough no matter what.

Regards,
Dave

Dave, the 11-16 Blanchard does have a fairly small footprint for its weight.
It sat on the front deck of a drop deck trailer. It was the only thing up there.

The husband and wife owner-operators called on a Friday to say they would be at my place between ten and noon Monday after a drop in San Diego. They called again an hour away and arrived at ten sharp. The rigger showed up 20 minutes later and was ready by the time it was untied.

I still can't believe how everything went so smooth. The trucker said he hauls mostly machinery all over the country. He knows how to tie it down and has good tarps.

I also checked on the insurance issues and it was fully covered. Not like the pennies on the dollar with some of the discount haulers.

A lathe cabinet/stand doesn't weigh much compared to its footprint.
Using a LTL freight hauler might be the cheapest, but I cringe at the thought of a bunch of guys at different terminals handling the thing.

Heavy10 just needs to get on the phone and see what he can come up with.

Les

commond carriers will be the cheapest, however there is a trick. list rates are 3 times as much as regular customers pay. If you can show them that you will give them regular business then they will give you a good discount, if not you probably have a friend who has an account, have it delivered to the terminal and pick it up there for more savings. If your load is 250 lbs class 85, wrapped on a skid, I would think someone like Yellow whould ship that for $150.00. but if you are off the street the rate would be around 500.

This is something I spend alot of time explaining to people new to buying used, especially ebayers.

Does anyone have the exact dimensions of a Heavy 10 with 4 1/2' bed cabinet, and also the weight? I am looking at different carrier websites because I am determined to buy a cabinet and I will HAVE to have it shipped because I cannot find anything local.

Hey heavy 10, I may have an idea for you. I have a friend who ships material from Ohio to somewhere down south by the trailer load. I'll have to check where and if he is willing, but I may be able to get you a good deal on shipping that lathe cabinet down to you, or somewhere that might be reasonable for you to pick it up from. Just an idea, and no guarantees, but I'll check next week and see if it's possible.

THAT WOULD BE UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME! I understand its not guaranteed but if you can help me out with this than I will be forever greatful. You just dont know how aggravating it is when I need this so bad and I know where they are but not how to get one down here without costing 3 times what I pay for it in the first place. Thanks again

check out forward air. you have to pick up and drop off at their terminals, but I ship all my custom truck parts that way and they are always substantially cheaper than any other company.

I came late to this post, so I don't know if you still need this info, but I measured my heavy 10 cabinet for you today.

25W x 65L x 35H

These dimensions are +/- 1/2"

I couldn't determine the weight.

Back