What's new
What's new

oil/grease

fjonesmachine

Plastic
Hi, I just discovered this forum. I have a 13" Southbend toolroom lathe that I have been using for several years, and just now am in the process of cleaning, painting, etc. The post from Webb Wyman down the forum a ways on oiling was very helpful, however, I am wondering what type of grease is used in the spindle thrust bearings. There doesn't seem to be any way they would get oil from the spindle. Also, the plugged hole in the pulley for when the lathe is in backgear, as well as the plugged hole in the backgear shaft are both marked "grease." What type of grease is used there, what type of gun do you grease it with, and how much does it need? I don't have a manual for my lathe, although I am waiting to hear from Southbend about the availability of one. Thanks for any help.

"Also, the plugged hole in the pulley for when the lathe is in backgear, as well as the plugged hole in the backgear shaft are both marked 'grease.' What type of grease is used there, what type of gun do you grease it with, and how much does it need?"

You can't mix greases.

Unless you know the "soap" used as a carrier for the oil in the existing grease, you have to assume that the carrier type is unknown, and the bearings should be flushed of old grease before application of new grease.

The best grease avaiable is probably Mobilube synthetic grease.

Parenthetically, the best available spindle oil is probably Mobil DTE. Light is perhaps the most appropriate for friction bearing motors, shafts and spindles. (Some applications will require Heavy Medium).

Also, the best available way lube is Mobil Vactra way lube.

Available from McMaster-Carr and other distributors of quality lubricants.

Back