What's new
What's new

Oilers

Jim in Wis.

Plastic
My 1946 9A is missing a few oil hole covers. The tailstock has two empty 11/64 holes, the bracket on the end of the lead screw has a 1/8 hole, the compound has an empty 9/64 hole, and above the lever for threading there is a 11/64 hole. Are these all supposed to have Gits covers? I looked on the Gits site and they show one straight drive in for a 5/32 hole. I would think the holes would all be the same size if they all had the same type fittings, but they sure don't seem to be. I've seen where some of the older lathes had brass plugs in some places - would mine have had those? Any thoughts on this?

Not all the holes had gits oilers. Some were just holes for oiling. SBL did make some brass plugs to go in those to keep the crud out. Sometimes they are available on Ebay.

Ed S

My 1920's SB has only open oil holes, all of them, the spindle, lead screw, carrage, everything.

When I opened up my spindle bearings there were all kinds of metal bits that had made there way in, not good.

My very low tech solution was to take small sections of dowel rod ~1" long 1/4" dia and turn them in a drill chuck to a long taper. I use these as plugs in all of the holes that have a possibility of getting chips in them.

They work very well, though not as pretty as a proper plug. I hate to buy things and would rather fix a problem with what I have at hand and move on.

on mine i just cut some little slugs out of round felt and stuck them in the holes to keep out crud. i`ll probably add some Gits someday

why not make some?

When I ran across some photos of what they acftually liked I spun some out of brass. It was a simple little project that did not require a lot of cash or a lot of precision skill. Since I'm not very experienced (AKA I'm not a good lathe operator) I enjoyed having something I could be successful at.

After all they lathe was built to make stuff right?

There was a thread a few months back where someone had made some for their machine. One of the members posted pics of an original so I could see how they were made, still haven't gotten to that project:willy_nilly:.

I tried a search for the thread but there must be something wrong with the search function, It kept saying "no matches found".
Just to test it I searched for "oil" and "apron" in two separate searches and got the same thing, no hits on either one? these are frequent topics of discussion and no hits in either thread or post.
Cheers,
Mitch

I put ball oilers and git cups in some of them in others I forced felt down in the holes to act as a filter. I added a ball oiler to the lead screw tail support and to the tailstock handwheel. I added a git cup to the top of the tailstock above the screw and spindle area. I forced felt into the holes in the face of the carriage that were open, the ones that lubed the handles and such. I added ball oilers to my carriage on all 4 corners so that I could oil directly under the carriage. I also added oil cups to the back of the tailstock to oil under the tailstock as I was moving it on the bed.

Tailstock.jpg

OilGrooves1.jpg

mcruff, what you have done to your lathe is really nice! You can work in my shop anytime! Where did you get the ball oilers and the Gits cups? Was the Gits a 5/32 press in?
All the ball oilers and gits cups came from McMaster Carr, none of them are screw in, all press fit. I can check the size tomorrow for you but I do think they were the 5/32" off the top of my head.

I have modified my lathe for function and really care nothing about restoration, it is a machine to be used and enjoyed so adding things like this or the serpentine belt and several other things were to make it more useable.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment!!

Some time back I added oiling passages to my 9A saddle on all four corners
from the sides.
The attached picture shows the details.
Oil is conducted to the groove above the V ways.
No need to slather oil all over the ways anymore and helps to flush out dirt.
RichD, nr Atlanta

Attachments

• SBL-AddWayOilers.jpg
    SBL-AddWayOilers.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 747
i agree!

:cheers:

"I have modified my lathe for function and really care nothing about restoration, it is a machine to be used and enjoyed so adding things like this or the serpentine belt and several other things were to make it more useable."

my 9" is on it`s 2nd rehab, the first time i did it "by the book" very carefully putting it back as close to original as possible, when i finished it looked great but it also was like every other 9" and i really wasn`t happy with it- it just wasn`t MINE. this time i`m doing all the little things to make it better suited for what i want to do. i agree with Mcgruff- it is a tool to be used and anything i can do to make it better, more efficient, or easier to maintain is worth doing, regardless of originality.

Good afternoon to you all, I am putting my 9B back together and noticed the left-hand lead screw bracket oil hole does not go all the way through. Am I missing something? Or was the hole omitted? Should I drill it out? Thanks for any assistance.

Back