What's new
What's new

Oiling felt?

Seerx

Plastic
Where can I buy the felt that oils the lower pully that runs off the motor? It has 2 large brass rings that sling the oil from the oil baths onto the shafts. What is the felt or felt like meterial called?

There are kits you can buy on ebay to re-felt your whole machine. I saw you had another post as well about a pulley. There are a great many different South Bends. Posting which lathe, size, etc will get better results. Pics help too. With the size I can link you the felt kit.

Looks great so far. With that motor base, I'm thinking its a heavy 10, or a 13". If you measure from center of tailstock quill, to bottom of tailstock where it would meet ways, you'll have an idea, a Heavy 10 would 5", a South Bend 13 would be about 6.5".

On tail stock end of the bed, between the vee and flat way should be the serial number. If you want a copy of the original serial card, it will tell you some exact details about your specific lathe, for $25 you get it here:
Serial Card for South Bend Lathe - Grizzly.com

Heavy 10 felt kit:
South Bend Lathe Heavy 1 - Rebuild Parts Kit (Model 1L & 1R) | eBay

Kit with a manual:
South Bend Lathe Heavy 1 - Rebuild Parts Kit & Illustrated Guide: Model 1L 1R | eBay

13 kit:
South Bend Lathe 13" - Rebuild Parts Kit (All Models) | eBay

13 kit and book:
South Bend Lathe 13" - Rebuild Manual and Parts Kit (All Models) | eBay

Wow!!! Thank you for all the knowledge!!! It’s cleaning up really nicely. Where can I find specs on how to torque the “main caps” over the main shaft behind the chuck? Thanks again!

It's all in the manual that can be ordered as part of the felt/rebuild kits

Back