What's new
What's new

older 13" south bend, what year?

leod

Aluminum
Just picked this up on craigslist for $800, which, if any of you has tried to buy machinery in Oregon knows is a great price. Mostly scrap and atlas (same thing) here. I am not going to keep it, so I really don't want to spend the money to get the info on it from south bend. Any of you know about what year it is? I have the top mounted motor and pulleys off as I just moved it. This thing is in better shape than I have ever seen an old south bend in. The ways are almost perfect.DSCN1761.jpgDSCN1762.jpgDSCN1767.jpgDSCN1765.jpgDSCN1764.jpg

It is kinda hard to justify having a 16" and a 13" in my garage. I bought it because it was $975 and I offered him $800 thinking that he would not agree to it. Ever do that? It is so clean though, I can clean it for painting in about two days, then flip it for $1200. I got a lot of nice extras with it too. Including two vises, the original tool post and a quick change set. It has the taper attachment too. Serial # is 33381

Strip and paint?? That's a heck of a lot of work for 400 bucks.
If you are wanting to flip it I would suggest a simple cleaning in the critcal areas,and put it in running condition. Nothing more.

Anyone that wants that lathe would likely be buying it as a refurbishment project and would want to do it theirself.

I got three Jacobs brand 3/4 heavy duty drill chucks and two 1/2 ones that I needed. I have also learned that it does not matter on cars or machines how many extras you have with it, they still sell for the same. Therefor I shall be committing the sin of selling the taper attachment, steady rest, follower rest,and four jaw chuck separately.

I got three Jacobs brand 3/4 heavy duty drill chucks and two 1/2 ones that I needed. I have also learned that it does not matter on cars or machines how many extras you have with it, they still sell for the same. Therefor I shall be committing the sin of selling the taper attachment, steady rest, follower rest,and four jaw chuck separately.

Not true in the case of unobtanium antiques, it's completeness that makes them appealing.

Strip away all its goodies and you are left with scrap iron no one wants.

I would say the same as Iwanna said. The completeness of an old machine is its value. You should set it up and use it a little. You may throw rocks at that sixteen.

I'm unfamiliar with the market for these overhead driven machines, do they have value? I would assume since it would be such a pain to get it going that they wouldn't carry much value other than as parts for newer machines.

Tim

I'm unfamiliar with the market for these overhead driven machines, do they have value? I would assume since it would be such a pain to get it going that they wouldn't carry much value other than as parts for newer machines.

Tim

Any lathe is better than no lathe. Any lathe is also better than a table held up by lathe legs.

allan

Except in many cases the parts do not fit newer machines

Tim

yes, I would not expect any parts to fit later models.

FWIW- I like overhead drive machines, very user friendly, no bending over to change speeds.

I think the OP would likely get his price if it were left complete.
It would be a fun machine to bring back to life.

That's not really an overhead drive machine. It appears to be a horizontal motor drive scheme. The motor plate and counter shaft are in the pictures. Could be what they called a silent chain drive. Looks like the chain guard there with the counter shaft. Not sure how silent it is,but much quieter than being in a line shaft shop.

Yup, that's the one, mine does not have the chip pan though. And it has the old giant monster repulsion start induction run motor. I used the shop crane to lift it. I had an old leblond with the same motor and it could take a heavy enough cut to snap the end off a high speed tool and not slow a bit.

Back