What's new
What's new

OPINION/EXPERIENCE NEEDED - BXA or CXA HOLDER 15" SB

What would be the better fit for my 15"SB BXA or CXA tool post?
I have experience with a FIMS no.4 on a 17" Turnado and would really like one, but they are hard to come by. I know there is one on Ebay but a little out of my price range at this time. So I think I will have to settle on a import BXA or CXA until funds improve.:cryin: Thanks for any input.

I run a CXA on a 12-30 Hendey. I like the bigger tool size it will take. Can go bigger on boring bar holders also. Have some Bxa from some other stuff I got and am glad I went the larger.

As others have alluded to, there are holders up to 1" in CXA (and 1 1/4 boring bars). The BXA tops out at 3/4. The CXA will also more than likely give you a bit more height adjustment than the BXA.

I use a CXA on my 13" Colchester. In the 10+ years that I've used it I've never wished that I had chosen a BXA instead. The CXA size will give you a larger range of sizes of boring bars, tool holders, etc. and if you want to use a 5/8" or 1/2" tool you can always shim it up as needed.

I have two 15" LeBlonds and one has a CXA and one has a BXA. The CXA is almost overkill in physical size and I cannot tell any difference between the two in function.

My 13" South Bend had a BXA and I thought it was a perfect size.

I was going back and forth over BXA or CXA. Settled for a ebay deal, Phase2 CXA with 5 Dorian holders, couldn't pass-up the deal. I know the compound to spindle centerline is a little tall for a 15", but it's advertised for a 13-18 swing. Hopefully I will be satisfied. Thanks for everybody's input.

Back