What's new
What's new

Opinions on 9A with a VFD?

VFD's are great ! will give you a nice variable speed. a rotary phase converter is a bit easier as you dont have to program all the functions. Guess, you will have to determine if you are comfortable with that sort of thing...
I would be more concerned with the condition of the ways, carriage, gears, etc.

HTH

joe

Looks like an OK lathe. It's a little dirty to have its pictures taken for posting on CL but maybe some people don't care about that. Along that line, he'd have been shot at my shop for laying a steel bar across the bed like that but again, some people.....

A VFD is a great device for a lathe because it gives such a wide speed range without changing belts. They are not that difficult to set up IF you have the instruction manual for the drive. Basically, if you can get your cell phone to work, then you can set up a VFD. It's just following the step by step set-up instructions.

Looks like an OK lathe. It's a little dirty to have its pictures taken for posting on CL but maybe some people don't care about that. Along that line, he'd have been shot at my shop for laying a steel bar across the bed like that but again, some people.....

A VFD is a great device for a lathe because it gives such a wide speed range without changing belts. They are not that difficult to set up IF you have the instruction manual for the drive. Basically, if you can get your cell phone to work, then you can set up a VFD. It's just following the step by step set-up instructions.

The gentlemen said he bought it with the intention of using it for a project, but the project never happened. Hence the mess. So hopefully he didn't get a chance to cock anything up! :D

hopefully he didn't get a chance to cock anything up! :D

LOL! Surely would not be the first pair of hands to have had that opportunity, though, would it? Last "virgin" SB 9 gave it up a very long time ago, now.

Motor should NOT be a 3450 RPM. Too fast. Otherwise, good make, and looks good.

VFD, if that white thing on the shelf, is not in a colour Huanyang used that I know of.
Might be a Weg. Or an even better make, yet.

2CW

So if I did have to get a new motor for whatever reason, 1750 rpm or whatever the standard is would be the way to go?

It probably is 1750 already. If the PO had the wisdom to buy Reliance (or Marathon) instead of schlock, it may even be an 1150 or thereabouts.

More torque, and smoother, when the name-plated HP is at a lower RPM. Pole-count and mathematical thing. Look it up. HP/Torque/RPM calculators are online. There is only one number to remember if NOT online.

Practical use is that for any given spindle RPM, the lower motor RPM supports use of a larger motor-end pulley for better wrap of the belt. Most wedge-type Vee belts, anything under 3" - 3 1/2" is playin' wit' yerself. The motor pulley in the photo is in that masturbatory class.

Even flat and PolyVee MicroVee AKA "serpentine" belts don't exactly LIKE that "too small" situation. They just cope with it better than legacy Vee belts.

No fear. The motor is overkill for SB nine in any case. They can't eat big meals and over-powering cannot change that. It should be SMOOTH, though.

I would say for Ohio and the condition that the price is a bit high. Would like to see a taper attachment and 4 jaw chuck in there for that kind of money. Especially if the motor is iffy...

John

Almost everything i've seen has been lathes in a nicer restored condition, selling for like $2500. At least it comes with a collet closer and collets? Those are generally $250 or so on their own arnt they?

Back