What's new
What's new

OT: Drill Press Help

Cosnar16

Cast Iron
Hello all,
Im putting the finishing touches on my SB drill press restoration and I need some help with a few parts I need to make.
First off - Im trying to make the belt tensioner for the motor. I understand how it works but im looking at the diagram i have (pictured) and am not sure what all the pins and things do in it. So if anyone could show me a disassembled picture of theirs or explain how it works that would be great.
Secondly, I need to replace the motor pulley, so if anyone could give me the dimensions for the OD of the four steps and the OD of the bottom of the four V grooves off of the SB motor pulley it would be appreciated.
Lastly, the lock pin for my table seems to be a cam? I had to bang it out of the table and it wont go back in because of this, is it supposed to be this way or is this a pin off another machine? (pictured)
All help is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
-Eric

Attachments

• IMG_0807.JPG
    IMG_0807.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0809.JPG
    IMG_0809.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0811 (1).JPG
    IMG_0811 (1).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
That lock pin looks like the ones on the Delta tilting tables. They are supposed to be a close fit. Yours looks like it may have a burr on it that you should file off. I replaced mine originally with a proper sized pin gage, bought several in the vicinity of .250 inch until I found one that fit. Good luck with your drill press. Bill S

That lock pin looks like the ones on the Delta tilting tables. They are supposed to be a close fit. Yours looks like it may have a burr on it that you should file off. I replaced mine originally with a proper sized pin gage, bought several in the vicinity of .250 inch until I found one that fit. Good luck with your drill press. Bill S

Thanks, it's definitely not a burr, it's the same diameter just offset about .015". Good to know its not for this machine though :)

The pin is correct for the drill press. The pin locks the table at different angles to the chuck. Someone tried to tilt the table with the pin in place causing the offset, you may still have enough length of pin to work properly if you cut off the damaged part.

Glad to see that its correct for a SB drill press too. See now that Steve was right. The knucklehead that distorted the pin may have ovaled out the mounting hole on the table too. I ended up setting the table up at 90 degrees and checking it with a DTI, keeping it within a half a thou on each side. Then find a pin gage that fits the hole. You could turn one down in mild steel as well. Any table that is within a thou or so of perpendicular to the spindle is the most accurate part of a typical light drill press. Remember the chuck is likely only good to about .003 runout even when new. A drill press of this type was never as precise as say a milling machine. Bill S

Will this help with the belt tightener?

Thanks, that helps a bit, but im also looking for more of a disassembled view, as im just not quite sure how the pins inside work (pictured). does the chuck key one have a spring that pushes against it? (is it a shouldered pin, ball bearing, only a spring? etc.) Same for the handle pin, (does the handle have holes for different positions of the pin or is it a spring / pin just to keep the handle tight, does the handle have a flat for the set screw on top? etc.)

-Eric
IMG_0807.JPG

There is a rubber plug that bears against the chuck key shaft holding it in place. The pin on the backside of the rotating disc acts as a stop against the drill press housing so when you rotate the motor tensioner it does go all the way around.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 104
There is a rubber plug that bears against the chuck key shaft holding it in place. The pin on the backside of the rotating disc acts as a stop against the drill press housing so when you rotate the motor tensioner it does go all the way around.

Great! :) thank you very much

Back