What's new
What's new

OT: How to Change a Rockwell Drill press spindle adapter/chuck

RF

Cast Iron
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with Rockwell drill presses? I recently rescued one from a very leaky roof factory and can not figure out how to remove the drill chuck. The manual says it easy to remove the chuck or spidle adapters, however I not sure if the rust is holding it on or I need to apply a little more force.

I have the locking collar of the chuck loose but can not remove the chuck. If I continue to loosen the locking collar it eventually tightens up against the chuck body and does not move anymore.

Any insight would be appreciated. Its a Rockwell 15" Unidrill with factory legs.

Thanks,

RF

Thanks for reply. This one does not appear to have that. I gather from the directions it's threaded on.

RF

Last edited:
As Bill said, turing the threaded collar down against the top of the chuck should force it off the taper however you indicate it's been in a wet environment so there might be some rust buildup holding it on. Try soaking with something like Kroil, WD-40, etc. and then the above noted "copper hammer" treatment may persuade it.

Tom B.

What model drill press? On my 15-081 that threaded collar was held on with a roll pin. As I recollect you needed to remove the chuck to get at it. How did you loosen yours? Its hard to get the taper wedges up there to remove the chuck with the collar on. I removed mine and mounted a new chuck and left the adapter/ threaded collar off.

Its a 15-665. Directions are not clear if it threads off or if you need wedges. Loosened the locking collor with spanner wrench. It states to make sure if you are attaching adapters to the spindle to make sure both the spindle taper and hole on adapter are clean. So I would assume chuck has a taper as well? It is heavily rusted so it might be stuck on there.

Success!! I gently persuaded the spanner once I placed the chuck key handle in the pilot hole and wedged it into my workbench. the chuck spun off. It has a taper hole and the lock collar pulls it into place. The good news is both tapers are in good conditon and no rust damage. The exterior of the chuck is rusty as hell.

Thanks for all the help. That's what makes this site so great!!

Rocco

I'm new. Thanks in advance for any help. I have an older (1970's) Rockwell floor model drill press with a keyless chuck. I see a roll pin through the shaft. I can't get the chuck off using a wedge. Removing the roll pin didn't help. What am I missing? I haven't figured out yet how to post pics.

Not sure, mine was just stuck and broke free with spanner. Have you checked inside chuck to make sure there is not a locking screw that comes out as well?

Back