Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Paint: That brown color

I picked up a couple of SBs a few weeks ago. One is a 10L which appears to be manufactured 1951. The color is that matte brown. Not crazy about that, but I don't think I want to do a full restore and color change as i don't intend to keep it. Is there an off-the-shelf match for this paint, or at least a mix formula that I can take to a local paint shop?

This one is for sale. I'll post it in the classifieds shortly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_9398.jpg   img_9400.jpg   img_9401.jpg  

Wisconsin (from May to November); Florida (from November to May)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brown? It doesn't look like brown to me. It looks like ordinary South Bend gray. A number of members who have re-finished their Heavy 10's have made recommendations on how to mix the paint that they used. The usual source was machinery enamel from Tractor Supply. I painted a 10L about 5 years ago. I bought my paint from Tractor Supply. They sold Valspar, and have switched brands since then. My paint was a mixture of one quart of Valspar Ford Gray and one pint of Valspar gloss white, and that was satisfactory to me. Applied smoothly with a brush, and is standing up for durability. Check with Brad Jacobs, his paint source was Sherwin Williams.
    Last edited by Bruce Nelson; 06-03-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Nelson View Post
    Brown? It doesn't look like brown to me. It looks like ordinary South Bend gray. A number of members who have re-finished their Heavy 10's have made recommendations on how to mix the paint that they used. The usual source was machinery enamel from Tractor Supply. Check with Brad Jacobs, his paint source was Sherwin Williams.
    He has the mix posted, and it is a nearly perfect damn match...

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh it's definitely brown. I have seen a few others in that color.
    I have a gray 10K sitting beside it now, and I've owned a few others, all gray. The shade varies, but not THAT much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, I've DL'd that mix formula for the 10K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take the end gear cover to the store and get them to scan it.

allan

7. Likes wheels17 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if it's for sale why paint it?

guys that buy these thing typical want to do it theirself, and an extra coat of paint is a turn off to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it doesn't sell quickly I know I won't be able to keep my hands off it. Most of it's good enough with just a good cleaning,l but a few areas would benefit from a freshening. At the least I'd like to touch up some bare areas on the headstock. Worst case I'll include the paint with the lathe if it sells.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For you non-believers out there, here are a couple of pics of the brown finish next to some SB 10K parts with original gray paint, from 2 different lathes.
    I cleaned some of the 10L parts and there is no gray layer under it. There is a bright green layer which I think is primer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_9479.jpg   img_9480.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BTW, can anyone tell me about that compound in the 2nd photo? It's 9"/10K, but I haven't seen one with 2 threaded holes instead of a T-slot.

Wisconsin (from May to November); Florida (from November to May)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex TX View Post
    If it doesn't sell quickly I know I won't be able to keep my hands off it. Most of it's good enough with just a good cleaning,l but a few areas would benefit from a freshening. At the least I'd like to touch up some bare areas on the headstock. Worst case I'll include the paint with the lathe if it sells.
    Personally, I'd rather buy the paint myself. I wouldn't trust the color matching by someone who can't tell the difference between brown and gray.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh it's definitely brown. I have seen a few others in that color.
    I have a gray 10K sitting beside it now, and I've owned a few others, all gray. The shade varies, but not THAT much.

Rex,

If you wait long enough, they will turn to black in a dirty enough shop...LOL

I think it's just sun fade and dirt that turned it that color. How about inside the covers where it isn't exposed to the surrounding environment. Is that the brownish color also ?

Maybe Ted will chime in and say if SB ever painted lathes brown, but my guess is fade/discoloration.

14. Likes BobRenz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by traditional-tools View Post
    Rex,

If you wait long enough, they will turn to black in a dirty enough shop...LOL

I think it's just sun fade and dirt that turned it that color. How about inside the covers where it isn't exposed to the surrounding environment. Is that the brownish color also ?

Maybe Ted will chime in and say if SB ever painted lathes brown, but my guess is fade/discoloration.
    Inside the drawers? Same color. Pretty uniform all over
    same color as a Weimaraner dog, oddly enough

I have refurbed dozens of lathes, mills, shapers including 5 or 6 South Bends. I always try to find the OE color early in the process. 97% sure this is the original paint. Maybe a special order? May have to buy the build card

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Nelson View Post
    Personally, I'd rather buy the paint myself. I wouldn't trust the color matching by someone who can't tell the difference between brown and gray.
    If you looked at the last two photos I posted and still think that, YOU may be the one with the problem.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Inside the drawers? Same color. Pretty uniform all over
    same color as a Weimaraner dog, oddly enough
    Maybe not so odd. I kind of vaguely remember that some machines during the war era were painted a different color, but my memory is only good for a few weeks anymore...

I have refurbed dozens of lathes, mills, shapers including 5 or 6 South Bends. I always try to find the OE color early in the process. 97% sure this is the original paint. Maybe a special order? May have to buy the build card
    And I know you have, so with that said, I am willing to take your word for it. As I mentioned, maybe Ted can comment if/when he sees this thread. I think he's the one that would know for sure.

18. Likes Rex TX liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In one picture you can see both lathes together in contrast and clearly see one is brown and one is grey. Whether or not it's factory I have zero idea, nor do I care, but that lathe is definitely painted brown.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hsracer201 View Post
    In one picture you can see both lathes together in contrast and clearly see one is brown and one is grey. Whether or not it's factory I have zero idea, nor do I care, but that lathe is definitely painted brown.
    Yes, you're correct, the 2nd pic in the 1st post. It shows the color contrast as does the 3rd pic show the brown...

However, be careful, there's a difference between the light blue and the grey they used on the older machines. I have a '46 9A that is grey. And it's a darkish grey, more so than light grey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW- I am reasonably sure it's a repaint because it appears to a war era machine but has a later style tailstock.

22. Likes traditional-tools liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, I ordered and received a Serial Card from Grizzly.
    Took two tries, since the first round they just slapped it on the platen crooked and hit Scan, the it cut off one long corner. They rescanned it but I'm still not impressed with the care they take.

Anyway, I was hoping for some insight on the color. I'm not seeing any reference to that on the card, front or back. The lower half of the back is blurred, so that I can't tell what data it contains. Maybe someone else has a serial card scan that is clear and can tell me what those fields are?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sercd-back.jpg   sercd-front.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    FWIW- I am reasonably sure it's a repaint because it appears to a war era machine but has a later style tailstock.

April 1951 - it would have to be the Korean, er...Police Action

If it's a repaint, it's a very thorough one. I have seen no sign of any color other than the bright green primer. I have had several assemblies apart for cleaning, and removed the paint from the compound accidentally, it came off in sheets. Brown sheets only. Not a spec of gray paint anywhere on the machine or cabinet - except the inside of the drawers.

I did state the inside of the drawers were brown, but I looked again today and they are gray inside, so there is that. I'm still of the opinion that this was a custom color at buyer's request.

Where's Ted?