What's new
What's new

PapaGrizzly

RobinsonNi

Plastic
Giday
Trying to get in touch with PapaGrizzly! Tried a PM but his mailbox is full and the system won't send him the message.
I've got a number of Grizzly machines, from belt sanders to molder/planers and table saws, they make some of the best machines around and I'm looking for some help buying a new Gunsmith's Lathe, please!!
Thanks,
Nick
[email protected]

I think Papa's got a brand new bag since his days here and probably not visiting anymore. That is a kinda egotistical sounding name choice isn't it ?

Here ya go!

2106_SCALED_800x600.jpg

Giday
Trying to get in touch with PapaGrizzly! Tried a PM but his mailbox is full and the system won't send him the message.
I've got a number of Grizzly machines, from belt sanders to molder/planers and table saws, they make some of the best machines around and I'm looking for some help buying a new Gunsmith's Lathe, please!!
Thanks,
Nick
[email protected]

Almost to the exact same day last year (Nov 25, 2013, Nov 30, 2013) you posted this same question about a gunsmith lathe, and Grizzly. Those threads were locked.
So why haven't you purchased it within the last year?

If you look back at the many years of Grizzly, they would show (and advertise) in their catalog that they had a complete machine shop for remachining and grinding their wood working tools. Why do you think that is. It saves money not destressing cast iron castings.

So I have a grizzly 14" table saw, very happy with it, and an oscillating drum sander, also happy, as well their polar bear 17" bandsaw. I have their 18x40 metal lathe. Which was a special sale (and not a catalog item). What I found was many parts were made from incorrectly machined parts. The China manufacture didn't want to scrap almost good enough parts. The D1-8 cam locks on the spindle, none of them have the detent in the 0 degree, they are all off by 5-10 degrees, making chuck removal a pain as they catch on the studs of the chuck backplate. The tailstock had the quill with an incorrect MT4 machining error (tang would hang up), and as it was heat treated I had them send me the one from their 'parts' lathe (when their gone, there's no support). This (quill) was 0.003 inches larger in diameter then mine, so I had to grind it down, lucky a center would fit in the existing quill, so I could grind this on the machine, as my other lathe is a baby 10x20 bench lathe. The 4 hole pattern on the tailstock lead screw nut assembly, was not 90 degree angle located, I can't imaging how it was made. So much for interchangeable parts.
When I powered it up, using a RFC, one of the main motor contactors developed a short between phases. What kind of cheap plastics did they use that could fail this way, but it was a permanent short. Sure grizzly sent me parts, and have an excellent support department, ....but they need it.
The front panel electric switches have all been replaced. The emergency off button was damaged in shipping. But looking at them, their quality is substandard. Plastics are brittle.
I have no idea what else may be wrong with it. Headstock gear box seems OK. Same with feed gears. I do have a problem with apron leaking oil, and false tripping of overload clutch (I've adjusted it, but a pain as the cover plate removal also dumps the oil).
But it was a great deal at $7500 (2004). And as it weighed 5600lbs, I kept it as I paid a rigging company $1200 (and $750 to grizzly shipping) to take it from a local loading dock, and place it in my shop. It's ridged, but if I knew of the issues before purchasing and delivery, I would have looked elsewhere.

Now look at their parts department. They are not stocking parts, so when something needs replacing, they may or may not be able to order it.
They could not do anything about getting me a taper attachment, but I got lucky and got one from a 20" lathe (they had on sale as the lathe was no longer available), and I was able to make it fit with out too much issue. But you have to have other machine tools so you can fix or make parts for your grizzly.
The compound slide, gib adjustment bottomed out, so it had play in it. I had to make a new adjustment screw to extend the range. The cross slide way surface was not ground. You can see the rough swirls of the machine cutter. OK this may be an improvement to hold oil better over scrape frosting :D.

The one thing China can do is get the lathe headstock spindle parallel to the ways (I've never heard of any complaints but your results may vary). Their castings may be questionable, and are typically referred to as pre-assembled kits, which need the sand removed from them. If they copied an existing design, then you can expect a pretty good machine, if they tried inventing some value engineering cost reduction, you may not be happy with the product.

For lathes, the one problem I had seen for years was the cross feed and compound screws were 1/8", not 1/10 or 1/5. My guess is that they looked at a SAE tape measure and saw fractional 1/8", and determined that was the US measuring system. My 18x40 uses 5mm lead screws. So for inch, you have to watch it. But a DRO fixed that problem.

Lastly, you will need to replace the 3 jaw chuck with a good one. As the one for my lathe exceeded 18 thou runout. I've not tried to grind the jaw, but I would suspect the scroll is not accurate enough. So another $800 (from memory) for a Bison 12" and backplate set tru.

It can hog cuts, I did find a limitation to a quick change Phase II version of the Aloris, If your trepanning in steel, the wedge lock is not enough holding strength to hold the tool bit. And the holder stop, is not strong enough as it just bent out of the way. Probably my ignorance of this cutting operation, but I know now.

Almost to the exact same day last year (Nov 25, 2013, Nov 30, 2013) you posted this same question about a gunsmith lathe, and Grizzly. Those threads were locked. So why haven't you purchased it within the last year?

You think we have a mole? lol :popcorn:

Well, if nothing else the OP can be thankful that they've been Grizzled! :cheers:

Happy TG!

For the price Grizzly seems to be the best bang for your buck. Of course it's not a South Bend, but I'm not looking to spend 10k on a lathe. I've had a hard enough time hiding 5k from my wife.
Yes, I asked pretty much the same question last year, I was ready to pull the trigger when my wife found my tool money and... There it went on Christmas!! Plus, a year later maybe some of the bugs have been worked out of the machines!! Maybe...
I don't plan to use the 3-jaw chuck much. Everything I'm mainly doing is chambering and threading barrels which I have a separate jig that goes in a 4-jaw chuck. Then close to an hour of dialing the bore!!

With all the potential problems with Grizzly, why don't you look into a good used machine of similar size? You haven't said what price range you are in but you can get some very nice machines in the ten to 13" inch size for less than $5000. South Bend, Sheldon, Clausing, Rockwell, Logan, Standard Modern, plus some on the larger industrial grade machines, Monarch CK, Cincinnati traytop, LeBlond, plus a host of imports. How much tonnage can you stand? Most of the smaller machines will be in 1000 lb+ range up to 5-6000 pound Monarchs.

Tom

Robinson - you came to the wrong forum to ask about Grizzly machines. There are a lot of haters here.

Notice the "expert" opinion from Ignator above about the lathe he bought from us, supposedly not a catalog item. Could it be that it was a sample machine we chose not carry because it was not up to our standards? Hmmmmmmm.... Oh, by the way, if have a question for me, just email [email protected] and it will get to me if it has a valid reason to. Oh, and one more thing, we sell more metal lathes than just about any other company in the USA and would not be selling them if they were junk and unusable.

Looks like this thread is about to explode and go sideways, so I'll just prop my legs on the desk and watch the insults fly. :)

Last edited:
Firstly, I have no dogs in this race. I see it from both sides. Ignator has other Grizzly products that he is pleased with, so I don't think he is blaming Grizzly as such. He bought a lathe that apparently had some problems. Note he said it was not a catalog item. Now the question is, does it have the Grizzly nameplate on it? If yes, then Grizzly deserves any criticism. If, however, it was an evaluation machine or something else not representing Grizzly quality, then it should not have been sold, or at least sold as a non-Grizzly product with no Grizzly markings and clear information that this is a no name machine with no warranty, sold "as is" When your name and reputation are on the line, a few dollars mean nothing compared to your reputation.

Tom

I have no problem with Grizzly. Several years ago I was looking for a knee mill and I wanted a 220 single phase, R-8 tooling, power feed on X, a DRO, and good solid ways. I found a used Grizzly G1004 AS1-A with all of the above and dovetail slides with a lot of extra tooling for a decent price. Yes, it would have been nice to find a Bridgeport knee mill with a variable speed but those go quick around my area and I didn't want to use a phase converter. It all depends what your needs are I guess. I am very pleased with the Grizzly.

A few years back at the Shot Show in Las Vegas, Grizzly had a booth with two gun smith lathes
running, there gun smith was chambering barrels. All the gun people were very impressed with the lathes as was I....

We kinda need to separate facts from emotion here. I love South Bend lathes--the old American Iron kind. I have 3 of them: a 1936 Workshop 9, a 1936 9 Jr., and a 1958 (sort of) Heavy 10.

I also work part time at a place that has two Grizzly Gunsmith lathes which were chosen because of the 1.56" spindle bore. (Not possible in Old Iron South Bend lathes) They also have a 9A Workshop South Bend which is used for smaller jobs. Within their limitations, the Grizzly Gunsmith lathes are tough and accurate. True, we had to clean casting sand out of little crevices. True, the lathes lack some desirable features such as a set of back gears to get the spindle speed down to something reasonable for accurate threading and handy features such as some sort of slip clutch in the power feed mechanism and a compound quadrant indicator that goes beyond 30 degrees so that you can find 29.5 deg for threading. A tailstock lock that actually holds would also be nice as would a threading dial that's not off a quarter of a dot at some numbers.

We solved the spindle speed problem by changing over to a VFD and 3 phase motor. That is not a simple job, by the way, if you want to maintain the original push button power and emergency stop functions but that's another story.

Both lathes are as accurate as anyone could wish and as one commenter said, the spindle axis is absolutely parallel with the bed ways. Personally, I would have liked to find "Old Iron" that fit the requirements but the 1.5" spindle bore is a deal breaker for most of the old American lathes unless you get into stuff that takes a locomotive to move.

I guess you could throw rocks at Grizzly for leaving out some nice features but from my experience you can't throw rocks at them for making lathes that don't work because they do.

Back