What's new
What's new

Phase converter STB

AeroTD&G

Plastic
I had an interesting evening a couple of days ago. I started my phase converter (home built) and a few sparks came out. After it ran a bit it started to smoke and filled my barn up with smoke. I didn't notice it until the smoke reached me at the other end of the barn (40' x 60' steel building).:eek: I quickly shut it off and called the fire department to be on the safe side. They came over and checked it out and determined there was no issues. They checked air quality and the wiring and I had to sign a paper saying I would repair or replace the motor.

I've been using it for 27 years and it was a used motor when I got it (free) so I guess I got my fair share out of it. I went online and researched rotary phase converters and was looking at $700+ for one big enough to run my machines. After searching a bit more I found a brandy new Century 5hp 3 phase 230/460v motor from a surplus/overstock/liquidation company. They were asking $130 and I offered $100 and they accepted. So for $183 with shipping I'll be back in business with my home built setup. It has some minor dings and scuff marks but nothing to affect it's operation and they will pay return shipping if there is any issues with it. The old motor was also a Century so I think I made out pretty good finding it.:D

Back