What's new
What's new

Picked Up Another South Bend Lathe

tphamrick

Plastic
I'm sure some of you remember my $75 Model A find about 3 years ago.
My $75 South Bend
Well yesterday another inexpensive SB fallowed me home. A 9" Model B, I found it on Craigs List for $150. The guy I bought it from said he got it in the condition it is in and never used it, he had a heavy 10 sitting in the corner. My $75 model A is in near perfect condition, this thing not so much and I payed twice as much for it. :skep:
DSCN0119.jpg

The top portion of the gear cover has been cut off. The lathe came with a lever type collet closer (not pictured). The closer is not made for this lathe and who ever mounted it decided it was okay to modify the lathe to fit the closer instead of the other way around. MORON!!! :mad5:
DSCN0120.jpg

I'm assuming the same stellar "machinist" that modified the lathe is also a stellar "electrician." A plug cut from a desk lamp was used to power the Dayton 1HP motor. :wall:
DSCN0121.jpg

The MT3 to 3C adapter is stuck in the spindle. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it out? I tried tapping it out with a brass drift but it didn't budge. Penetrating oil maybe?
DSCN0122.jpg

There was a live center stuck in the tail stock quill, but I was able to tap it out relatively easily. To the naked eye there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the MT2 taper. The handle on the hand wheel is bent, probably from being dropped. The boss for the center lubricating dauber has been machined off, I'm going to assume that the same stellar "machinist/electrician" did that as well...again...MORON!!! :angry:

There is a light surface rust pretty much everywhere, except on the bed ways :), that should clean up without much fuss. There is rust pitting in some non critical areas, hand wheel handles mostly.

It is missing the change gears, my Model A has the quick change gear box so I'm not to worried about it. However, that will affect the resale value.

I know I'm going to clean it up and repaint it. Maybe get another gear cover and tail stock, if I can find a good deal on them. Beyond that I'm not sure what I want to do with it. I may keep it and put it to use alongside my Model A, or I may resell it. But for $150 I couldn't pass it up. Even in its current condition it is still a viable lathe that will clean up well and last many more years. I am a happy camper.

To remove the collet adapter I would use my heat gun with the concentrator tip to keep the heat flow on the bottom of the spindle threads without heating up the adapter. When the topside of the threads are hot to the touch, use a drift with a diameter close to the inside diameter of the spindle to transfer a hammer blow to the entire back side of the adapter. It should pop right out. You could freeze a wet rag and stuff it into the adapter to shrink it while expanding the spindle with heat. Good luck. PB

Last edited:

Back