What's new
What's new

Picked up a south bend.

MetalMan23

Plastic
Hey all, I own a welding shop, I've always wanted to be able to make my own parts, and now with this recent acquisition, I will be able to start doing just that.

I'm totally new to metal lathes, I have 2 friends who are machinists, I'll definitely be asking then for help and advice, but I figured I'd join this forum to get help with my specific lathe, and general help with the set up and use.

Here's some pics

I'm no machinist but I'd say $250 is a pretty good deal [emoji3]
92d1445da5166fe79c02ce53ead79712.jpg
e7087a6180256176a25442037ecec33c.jpg
7628201cc5b45b93bb33e9dc916437a3.jpg
240611f7cae1994f8851143d4f2fcb75.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

If someone can direct me towards any learning material directed towards beginners that'd be great, I don't want to waste everyone time with questions they've answered a million times already

You come to the right place, There is a lot of people that have experience with that machine. And fortunately for you they are willing to help. It looks like you have a good project their. One bit of advice, Don't lay tools on your Lathe bed. A small dent can mess up the accuracy of your machine. And be aware, that machine is top-heavy. Bolt it to the floor if you can. That is once it is leveled.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Looks like a 11" Series O from teens / twenties / early thirties

Here is the somewhat later How To Run A Lathe

http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_Run_a_Lathe_SB_1of2.pdf

http://campkahler.com/files/How_to_Run_a_Lathe_SB_2of2.pdf

Thanks, [emoji106][emoji106]I'll give those a read

You come to the right place, There is a lot of people that have experience with that machine. And fortunately for you they are willing to help. It looks like you have a good project their. One bit of advice, Don't lay tools on your Lathe bed. A small dent can mess up the accuracy of your machine. And be aware, that machine is top-heavy. Bolt it to the floor if you can. That is once it is leveled.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Yes I'm hoping to learn from the experts,

Thanks for the tips, I didn't realize tools could dent the bed like that, I'll keep that in mind.

Once I get it set up and find a place for it I'll bolt it to the floor.

This is my 3rd piece of equipment that's from the early 1900's the other 2 are a punch, and a bandsaw.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Back