What's new
What's new

Poor SB 13 - ending life as furniture

StrayAlien

Cast Iron
here:

Industrial Furniture 1950'S Lathe Converted TO A BAR With Light in Waterloo, NSW | eBay

Poor old thing. It is 1000 klm away but sure would be great if someone rescued it from a miserable eternity supporting canapes and drinks with little umbrellas in them.

I contacted them and they do not have the original bits, and yes, as you no doubt have guessed the 'before' shot has nothing to do with the actual item being sold - "just an example".

In more than 12 months of keeping an eye out for SB lathes and items in Oz, this is the only 13" I have seem. Looks like a great (if expensive) project for someone to get back to life. If it were nearer I would be tempted .. and if it were $500 .. not $1000 :-)

here:

Industrial Furniture 1950'S Lathe Converted TO A BAR With Light in Waterloo, NSW | eBay

Poor old thing. It is 1000 klm away but sure would be great if someone rescued it from a miserable eternity supporting canapes and drinks with little umbrellas in them.

I contacted them and they do not have the original bits, and yes, as you no doubt have guessed the 'before' shot has nothing to do with the actual item being sold - "just an example".

In more than 12 months of keeping an eye out for SB lathes and items in Oz, this is the only 13" I have seem. Looks like a great (if expensive) project for someone to get back to life. If it were nearer I would be tempted .. and if it were $500 .. not $1000 :-)

This is a prime example of a bad idea! That is just wrong.

I think it's a clever idea to get his lathe into the nice warm in the winter...cool in the summer, rec-room:)
Though, my wife would see through this real fast...been married a long time;)

I think it's a clever idea to get his lathe into the nice warm in the winter...cool in the summer, rec-room:)
Though, my wife would see through this real fast...been married a long time;)

Now that's a positive spin on this !!!

The one and only redeeming feature of this trend is its trendiness. Hipsters will soon tire of the decor, and move on to something else. Then it'll show up on Craigslist or ebay for a song... and you can then pick up a lathe bed that's been stored inside, instead of in a barn or the dump. The missing bits will always be a challenge, but they are more likely to be available from a machine with a worn-out bed.

Chip

Back