What's new
What's new

Potential South Bend Model O - general questions

Hello to anyone who reads this.

I found a lathe on LetGo. The owner said it's a Southbend but didn't know what it was, but based on the headstock/apron I'm willing to bet it's a South Bend model O. He says he can't find the tail-stock and he wants $500 for it. Now, given it doesn't have a tail stock and he doesn't even know if it works, my counter offer was 200$. I really want to get this lathe and restore it because it feels like such a shame to let a piece of history sit in a storage unit gathering dust and grime.

I have to ask though, how difficult would it be to find a tail stock/steady rest for this machine? I was thinking that the tail stock of a model A/B/C could fit on the ways since the ways looks to be the same general shape. And of course I have yet to put hands on the machine and inspect it, but I wanted to put this query out into the internet as soon as possible because I feel like input from the people on this site could help me with deciding on an offer.
lathe.jpg

Good luck finding a tailstock. I’ve had a wtb reverse lever here for some time. Parts are scarce for these.
It looks like an O series apron and headstock. 16 dp change gears and they are hard to find and expensive when you do.
Check the half nuts and lead screw very well before buying. The half nuts are really rare and around a $300 bill. Also check the play in the headstock spindle, these have bronze plane bearings and you remove shims to adjust to tolerance. Be certain there are still shims between the bearing cap and headstock or that’s more money to spend. That one should have a 3/4” bore through spindle.
If you do buy it and can’t find a tailstock I’ll be interested in parts for my 13”.

Ohhh...excellent observation John! I think you are right, looking more closely that one does seem to have the bolt down reverser...can't see it well enough to tell for sure.

Eclectic- DONT buy that tailstock until you get more info!!! do you have any more pics??

Ps- 16DP change gears are easy to get...they are still made commercially and lot of other lathes used them too...still 200-300 bucks for them though.

Last edited:
I screen shotted two more pics that he took. Please see below. And I can't thank ya'll enough for your input. I really appreciate it.

lathe 2.jpg

lathe 1.jpg

Ask the seller to take a pic showing a tape measure going from the bed's flat surface to the center of the chuck jaws...whether it is a 9" or 11" will be immediately apparent.

If it's a 9" then a measure from the flat surface the tailstock would sit on to the center would be about 4.5"

11" would be about 5.5"...a big enough diff to tell easily.

Yes, if it's a 9" the eBay tailstock will work...may require some light fitting but that's par for the course.

Be a fun little machine to use...I hope it works out.

Me too! And any tips on what tools to bring in order to inspect the lathe? I was planning on bringing a wrench set, some Allen wrenches, various screw drivers, tape measure, and a phone mounted endoscope so I can see in and around the Apron/head stock easier. And what did you mean by light fitting? Do you mean scraping?

For that lathe I wouldn't take a thing with me other than a good basic set of tools for dismantling down to major components if you buy it so you can move it easy....its a project, you know that going in, so pay no more than project price....with the gears 350 top, without 200 and that's really generous. The seller needs to realize it's a project...depending on what you find price may go up a bit...maybe the tailstock will turn up,maybe the gears,maybe some accessories.

Not necessarily scraping for fitting the tailstock if you need one,but that would be best, although you can get by with some careful shimming usually...lots of guys here can help you help yourself with advise on how to proceed with that...it's really not hard,even for the uninitiated given some instruction.

Can't thank you enough for the advice. I'll be going to check out the lathe this Wednesday. And the guy took so long getting back to me on whether or not he was still selling that the tail stock sold :( But in the end I still want to work on this lathe, fix it up and learn from it. At the price I Can't complain, and I can build functionality with the lathe as parts surface.

Last edited:
I got the lathe! And from the bed casting numbered on the side, this sucker was poured in 11/22/1920!!! But I can't find the serial number anywhere. I read from a random forum that the lathes poured before 1930 don't have the serial number located on the ways. I do see a number on the inside of the gearbox cover. I attached a picture of it. And also some glory shots. And also dug up some change gears! Could someone help me with this serial number?

Also, that last pic...not sure what that thing is. The guy who sold it wasn't the lathe's owner really, it was his girlfriend's ex...so he had no clue what it was but I convinced him to give it to me because it might go with the lathe.

Attachments

• 20180418_130035.jpg
    20180418_130035.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 20180418_143952.jpg
    20180418_143952.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 135
  • 20180418_144053.jpg
    20180418_144053.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 20180418_132941.jpg
    20180418_132941.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 20180418_144255.jpg
    20180418_144255.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 110
It would seem to be the Model 25...at 9.25" swing the 9"JR tailstock should work out...just watch eBay they pop up every now and then.

I also strongly suggest you place a "WTB Wide bed 9" tailstock" here in this forum...some of the guys have stuff pigeonholed just waiting for someone to need it.

Ps- looks like you have the change gears??

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/79JR/cat_79jr.pdf

Last edited:
Yeah, there was a broke down drawer underneath the bench I had to rip out (really lucky the guy didn't care). It had a mess of gears in it and a slew of other random bits. And thanks, I'll put a WTB out then, thank you for the idea. I appreciate all the advice.

man, I bet that tailstock is there "somewhere"...but I bet that WTB will turn something up...lots of eBay seller watch the WTB ads here too...magically whenever someone is looking for a part here it turns up on eBay within a day or so.

Back