What's new
What's new

Knurling Woes

bradjacob

Titanium
Ok so i got my new Phase ll tool post and I tried to do some knurling. Man, is was really bad. :eek:

I used back gear, a slow feed (around 200), pressed it into the metal and instantly it began to cross thread. I thought i could let it sink in at least a couple revolutions before engaging the power feed. Am I doing something wrong?

How do you know the right diameter? I had bad luck with mine also and thought it was a bad knurling tool as it came with my machine when I bought it.

Russell

The diameter of the work piece should be a multiple or near multiple of the knurling wheels. It is generally trial and error getting closer and closer by turning the OD of the workpiece down a few thou at a time until it works. Cut knurling tools may not have this problem, I'm not sure since I don't have one.

How do you know the right diameter? I had bad luck with mine also and thought it was a bad knurling tool as it came with my machine when I bought it.

Russell

I have a copy of the book, "Machine Shop Trade Secrets", that is associated with the linked article. I found it to be excellent reading and very educational.

Knurling BAD For old Lathes?

Now I'm reading a lot of info which suggests that knurling puts so much pressure on the bearings and other components of these old machines, that its dangerous.

Are there any other types of knurling tools out there that would somehow "squeeze" the knurling pattern onto the piece within the tool itself?

What is everyone's experience with knurling?

We use this type of tool at my work. they work well, they dont deflect the work. But they are more costly. Maybe fabricate one?
Quick Acting Clamp Type Knurling Tools | Travers Tool

I had several problems with the clamp on knurling tool.
1st they left a shadow in the pattern where you started.
2nd To make even the small clamp on toot work with my 9a I had to set the compound to zero and back it off to give me clearance, this isn't practical with my production methods.
Instead I came up with a Barber Pole knurling for my razor handles, this is similar to what Gillette used on some of their vintage razors.
1st I knurled with 2 fine right handle wheels then I went over it with the holder containing 1 left handed medium wheel on the bottom and a blank wheel on top, don't know why this works better then 2 wheels but it does.
This type of knurling doesn't need to be as deep as true diamond knurling and since I'm working with brass I'm hopefully not putting excess strain on my lathe.
The downside is you need a diameter that will work with both sizes of knurls, I had to make charts by trial and error.
But now I can hit my target diameters and get good results.
bm-3.jpg

I did a quick read of "Knurling made Simple" and it suggest using a light weight lubricating oil, right now I'm using a light cutting oil would either A of B oil be a better.
The "A oil" I'm using is Velocite #6.
The "B oil" is ISO 46 medium Hydraulic oil.

By no stretch am I an experienced lathe operator. Heck I turned my first good knurl a few weeks ago. But when I look at the way my lathe is built I have NO problems with the thought attacking the occasional knurling operation.

Were I doing it all day every day, I'd probably look for an alternative method. Like most things in life I think "moderation" is the key.

CE

Back