What's new
What's new

pre 1940 Serial Number Database

swells

Stainless
If you have a pre 1940 SBL, please post your year of lathe, model, serial number, ship date if you have one, and bed casting date if found.
I will add to my database for better IDing of production dates. Tony's UK site will be hosting my database information at a later date when compiled. Thanks to all, your data is needed.

Steve Wells
[email protected]

Cat # 415 S # 66921 no bed #
Shipped to North Dakota July 15 1936 H. L. Miller buyer. Per LeBlond.

[ 02-26-2007, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: CDK ]

Thanks, Guys
CDK, I think I have Jim & Toms, I know I don't
have your #, post serial number please, and everyone look for bed casting dates if you can find them....I going to bet Turk a 2 mile tread mill run that I'm right on my production casting hypothesis...haha

Steve

Well, I had Jims in there, but not Toms...got it
now. Would everyone like a copy of the file when I get as many numbers as I can...I have more than the SB groups.

Jim, look inside on the inner bed walls sometimes on the back by the headstock, sometimes on the inner front by the tailstock, the number should be something like 10 13 34 on yours, with the spaces.

Hello, new to site. Thought I would add my lathe info. Cat# 122 XF S/N:50350 Casting# S 9 1 4 1 According to Leblond shipped Oct. 9, 1931 to Charles Y Audenried Jr H.S. in Philadelphia, Pa. I rescued it from a Used Tool Store. Spotted it from the street one day in the window. Needed a lot of work.
RF

Thank you RF,
Here is another "F" number...I can't find a reference to the F in the catalogs...hmmm
second one now, I would like to see pictures of it if that is possible. does it have the catalog plate on it?...And where did you find that casting number...it's an odd number.

Steve

Steve
The 1934 Model SBL Catalog No. 94 dated February 1934 lists a Code Word after the Cat. No. of Lathe. After my model 122-X is the word "Facap". Possibly the "F" in the number? I'm reading up on how to post photos. The Casting # is near the tailstock. Has the catalog plate on it.

RF,
I know I've seen it stated in a catalog somewhere that anything with a 1XX had Floor legs, I just can't find it now... so the F is probably that. You can send pictures in e-mail to me if you like.
I like the little short lathes, one with legs..even better. Does it still have the legs?

Steve
Steve Wells
[email protected]

Never looked up date but it looks old enough
Cat # 915-Z Serial # 83354 casting number 10 27 37 S
Has Floor Legs AND Floor Leg Motor/countershaft mount.

Thanks Jim, I put in the book...
Hey, you should see the dial bushing I just made for Turk...it is sweet. I'll post the pictures and repost my flickr link here.
>>>>>
A 915Z...are you saying you have a silent V-belt overhead drive....wow...tell me more

Steve

I don't have enough numbers between 37 and 38 to place it...it appears to be a 1938, I have one lower that is 38 and one higher that is 38. It still could be Dec of 37 with the casting date.

Steve

Steve, here's a link to my photos. It's an Underneath Drive. But I can see the F standing for floor legs. Interesting, this is the only Jr I have seen so far with this drive. RF

web page

RF,
Very nice photos, you don't mind if I save them
and share them...do you? I still can't place the casting date. SB Trivia: The code words we see listed in the catalogs were used when ordering by telegram or cablegram, saved per word costs...

A.B.
Has the apron been changed, or are we looking at a very very early workshop Model B? interesting...

Steve

Steve,
Sure you can save/share photos. That is the casting date you were talking about? Don't know about the apron being changed. When I got it the compound rest was missing, the bull gear was missing several teeth as well as the back gear and the tailstock spindle was missing. But I enjoyed stripping it, repainting and replacing parts. I'll have to scan some of the before photos sometime.

RF

Back