What's new
What's new

South Bend cross feed screw?

alan speyrer

Stainless
i have cleaned my lathe, and still the crossfeed screw is harder to turn than i would like. with the Apron off the lathe the crossfedd screw is very easy to turn,would loosening the gib screws make it easiers to turn ?

Hello Allan It should not make any difference if the apron was on or off unless the gear for power cross feed was coming in contact with something in the apron. Set the selector lever to the neutral position and try it. If the cross feed screw feels nice without the apron it should be exactly the same with the apron.

Ronnie

the selector lever was in the neutral position when i tried

Hello Allan It should not make any difference if the apron was on or off unless the gear for power cross feed was coming in contact with something in the apron. Set the selector lever to the neutral position and try it. If the cross feed screw feels nice without the apron it should be exactly the same with the apron.

Ronnie

Alan With the apron installed does it feel scrubby like there is something touching or is it just hard to turn? If it feels good without the apron,loosening the gib screws is not the answer.

Ronnie

Are you sure that you have proper mesh in the cross feed gear and the apron drive gear?

Alan With the apron removed turn the large gear that drives the cross feed screw. How does it feel? any binding? If it turns freely with the lever in neutral than you have some sort of improper alignment with the two gears.

Ronnie

i added some oil and just cracked the gib screws loose, turns free now. the last owner must have turned alot of brass, cause little brass chips are stuck in everything

Do to the tolerance stack up of the mating parts, South Bend used standard, oversize, and under size crossfeed gears in the apron. The fit was established in final assembly for the right backlash to the crossfeed screw. You may be experiancing interfearance due to no backlash. There should be a number stamped on your crossfeed gear(std, m10, p10, etc.) You might need a smaller one.

Ted

Ted, if this is the case, where would i look to find these numbers? can they be seen with the apron on the lathe?

Do to the tolerance stack up of the mating parts, South Bend used standard, oversize, and under size crossfeed gears in the apron. The fit was established in final assembly for the right backlash to the crossfeed screw. You may be experiancing interfearance due to no backlash. There should be a number stamped on your crossfeed gear(std, m10, p10, etc.) You might need a smaller one.

Ted

Ted, if this is the case, where would i look to find these numbers? can they be seen with the apron on the lathe?

It is stamped on the face of the gear, so no, you can't see it with the apron on the lathe. But, that information is on the serial card, assuming that everything is original.
Ted

PS. Clark Kent is in Smallville:D

Back