What's new
What's new

Protecting ways?

beeser

Cast Iron
In one of tubalcain's videos he advises using a board over the ways when changing a chuck. Is there any special size board that works best or is any size that covers the ways good enough?

When I bought my lathe used, the previous owner had made a plywood tray about two inches wider than the ways, with grooves in the bottom to fit the bed ways to keep it aligned. It's a useful tool tray out on the end of the bed, and quickly drops in to protect the ways when changing a chuck.

When I bought my lathe used, the previous owner had made a plywood tray about two inches wider than the ways, with grooves in the bottom to fit the bed ways to keep it aligned. It's a useful tool tray out on the end of the bed, and quickly drops in to protect the ways when changing a chuck.

Good idea with the grooves. I'll just make a couple of shallow saw cuts the width of the ways.

I stack up wood and cut to match the vees on bottom and cut a radius to match each chuck. I can set the chuck on the block then slide the whole thing in against the spindle. Once a chuck is over 50 pounds it is crane time.

Most of the people I work with protect the bed ways with a random
assortment of screwdrivers, measuring tools, and pipe wrenches.
Plus the occasional coffee cup.

But seriously any flat piece of wood wide enough to prevent
metal-on-metal contact will do the job. I keep a short section
of 1 X12 pine stuffed alongside the lathe for this. If it's a really heavy
large chuck it helps if the board offers it up to the spindle at nearly
the correct height which would mean a bit of a riser of some sort.

When I went to my first submarine, this was the first thing I made for the South Bend. I went on the pier and found an old pallet and cut some pieces off of it. Then I glued them together in a 24" x 16" rectangle about 1" thick...worked for several years till I changed boats...

Back