What's new
What's new

Another Stuck Chuck Back Plate to Spindle on SB 10L

jetpilot67

Plastic
I've about tried everything. Penetrating oil, heat and it won't budge. I even tried inserting a bolt into the chuck and used an impact wrench. Any other ideas or fool proof methods?

You tried penetrating oil, but did you try Kroil? Kroil has worked for me when other products like PB-Blaster, Liquid Wrench, WD-40, etc haven't. Try heat and then shocking with ice cold water.

The good thing a 10L spindle is cheap and only takes a couple hours to swap one.

Some reading:

http://www.modelenginenews.org/techniques/stuckchuck.html

http://www.lathes.co.uk/stuckchuck/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/how-remove-stuck-chuck-tutorial-165028/

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/74765-Stuck-back-plate

You may need penetrating oil AND vibration in order to pump the stuff into the threads. Liberally apply the Kroil, rattle it with your impact wrench, and then go away for a while---maybe even a day. Repeat Kroil and vibration. It will come apart eventually. Just DO NOT use the back gears to lock the spindle as you apply torque to loosen it. If you knock a few teeth off the back gear set, the stuck chuck will seem like a very minor problem by comparison.

I have it out of the lathe now for restoration so I will get some kroil and let it seep in there for a week or so and try again. Thanks for the input.

What never failed for me was to clamp about a 4 ft bar in the chuck, position it so it is sticking straight out, engage back gears but do not pull the pin.

hang a weight on the end of the bar,protect the ways so the bar doesn't damage them when it breaks loose,apply a little heat and spray with penetrating oil.
Come back in a couple days.

if that doesn't do it, back plates are cheap..Remove chuck from plate and use the lathe to machine it off.

if that doesn't do it, back plates are cheap..Remove chuck from plate and use the lathe to machine it off.
Words of wisdom right there. I spent days screwing around trying to save a backplate and risking busting an expensive hard to replace gear. Once I decided to cut it, Boom, 10 minutes and it was over.

I recall using a parting tool - with known spindle diameter and known OD of backplate stub, I knew how far to feed in before hitting spindle. I got close, heard a satisfying "pop" and the thing came off easy. I believe I made my cut near the rear of the threaded area, I was actually able to use the cut off remains of the plate to mount the chuck and bore/thread the new plate. (yes, I have the 1 7/8" x 8" oddball spindle)
Clarification, this is one time the old Armstrong tool post and a LH(?) parting tool holder came in really handy)

Last edited:
My first “lathe’ sat outside for a few years in pieces on the ground in the dirt, rain and snow of Wisconsin. When I showed up to buy it, it was in a wheel barrow.

I almost start twitching now at the thought of getting the quill out of that SOB’s tail stock. The first week of multiple daily sessions of heat and Kroil and tapping on it wasn’t too bad, but by the end of week two when it finally came loose… I was only minutes away from a nervous breakdown!

I was used to the typical aggravating stuck and stripped bolts, and even the occasional impossible pulley or centrifugal clutch, but this little quill was like playing in the major leagues, and it pummeled into my very being a whole next level of patience.

Along with heat and Kroil that kind of next level patience and persistence is all I can suggest.

Stick with it, it'll come apart one way or another... someday. :)

heat the chuck and spindle uniformly, let the heat soak in. maybe 200F, 300F.

put an ice cube in the spindle while applying torque to the chuck.

Thanks for the suggestions. When I get it back together then I will try the least destructive methods first until I get pissed and finally cut it off! These are standard threads,not reversed...right?

I'm just going out on a limb here since we don't have any pictures, but are you sure you have a direct thread spindle and not a cam-lock or a L-00 mount?

From old school instructions....

Place lathe in lowest direct drive speed without any gears engaged meaning only belts.

Put something in the chuck and tighten all 3 places.

Put chuck key in and have it straight out toward front

Rest a 2 X 4 across it

Get the largest hammer you can find and just let it drop on the 2 X 4 and it should bust it loose.

Rotate chuck and smack all positions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back