What's new
What's new

Purchasing a Used Heavy 10-Advice Needed

Dolezal9290

Plastic
Hey guys,

I need some help/advice on a lathe I found on craigslist. I'll start by admitting I know near nothing about lathes aside from what I've gathered on the internet, hence the reason I'm looking for decent machine to start/learn on. The machine in question:
1" Southbend metal lathe - tools - by owner - sale

I've gathered that these 10" machines were some of the best built in their day as well as a good machine to learn on. Again though, knowing near nothing about lathes, I need some advice on whether this is a decent deal or if I'd just be investing in something that needs a significant investment to make it functional. The ad states the carriage is very worn, but the machine is still usable, not sure if that would be a deal breaker or not. I've read up on some things to check for such as way wear, play in the spindle, gear condition, etc. I've made contact with the seller to try and get a serial number to find out the exact model and schedule a viewing, haven't heard back yet. Any input would be much appreciated, I'm really on my own in this venture as I don't know anybody that knows anything about metal lathes.

snag it.if it doesn't do what you want, Part it out. Do it right and you got 2G to buy a nicer machine.

that said as long as the carriage isn't dragging on the ways it will still make good parts.

Thats one great thing about even a clapped out South Bend, if its all there it has parts that are worth more than the machine. I could have made a tidy profit on mine but I actually wanted a lathe and not a new side career on Ebay.

Thanks for the input everyone! Ended up taking the plunge and picking the machine up, just got it back to the shop last night. As far as I can tell, all the gears are in good condition, no broken teeth, lead screw looks good, and couldn't really feel any ridges on the ways. The drive and under drive (proper terminology?) have been converted to a v belt system over the original flat belt. Previous owner said the pulleys had to have been custom machined specifically for this setup at some point. My only concern at this point is the carriage. The saddle on the apron side has a good deal of vertical play (can be lifted a up from the ways), but I don't know if that's expected. Would replacing just the saddle rectify the issue, or would such wear suggest I have extreme way wear? I've decided I'd like to restore the machine as best possible, but don't want to dump a huge investment if the machine is already too far gone. If there is any specific measurements I can take to help out, please let me know

The saddle on the apron side has a good deal of vertical play (can be lifted a up from the ways), but I don't know if that's expected.

That is normal. Forces push the saddle down onto the ways when turning normally. If you need to turn in reverse for some reason you can snug up the saddle lock bolt to keep the carriage down.

Teryk

Thanks for the input everyone! Ended up taking the plunge and picking the machine up, just got it back to the shop last night. As far as I can tell, all the gears are in good condition, no broken teeth, lead screw looks good, and couldn't really feel any ridges on the ways. The drive and under drive (proper terminology?) have been converted to a v belt system over the original flat belt. Previous owner said the pulleys had to have been custom machined specifically for this setup at some point. My only concern at this point is the carriage. The saddle on the apron side has a good deal of vertical play (can be lifted a up from the ways), but I don't know if that's expected. Would replacing just the saddle rectify the issue, or would such wear suggest I have extreme way wear? I've decided I'd like to restore the machine as best possible, but don't want to dump a huge investment if the machine is already too far gone. If there is any specific measurements I can take to help out, please let me know

Lube it up, use for a little while and see how well it cuts and how tight it will hold before you go tearing it apart and/or dumping money into it. There might be some tweaking you can do to improve what you have. For the price I think you did very well and it will likely do all you need.

Back