What's new
What's new

Putting on turcite

Daughty

Aluminum
So I'm redoing my 14 1/2. I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to put turcite all along the ways or be better, just under the saddle, tailstock, and head stock? I'm looking for the pros and cons of each.

Thanks!

turcite is soft, and particles will embed in it, wearing away the other surface. You never want to expose it. It goes on the underside of the saddle, not the ways.

allan

Also, there is no reason to put turcite under the headstock, it does not move. And, you don't want it under the tailstock, because it makes the clamp less effective.

allan

After grinding and scraping the saddle/apron are lowered. This creates problems with lining up with the lead screw hieght and gear rack. Tercite is used as a shim to raise the saddle/apron back up in alignment

After grinding and scraping the saddle and apron are lowered. This creates problems with lining up with the lead screw hieght and gear rack. Tercite is used as a shim to raise the saddle/apron back up.

And traditionally the tailstock is raised back up to centerline with a metal shim between the two TS castings. This keeps the tailstock base interface as cast iron on cast iron for better clamping friction as mentioned above.

not a big fan of turcite on a soft bed SB.

IMO it's really more suited to larger machines with pressure lubrication and effective wipers.

all is mostly for nothing without redoing the bed anyway.

you can make huge leaps in feel and performance by relieving the middle third of the saddle ways and a little match fitting scraping to make the saddle sit tight and right with regard to alignment, then the rack,gearbox,and leadscrew bracket can be shimmed down to suit.
Add a little tailstock work and you have a hobby level rebuild without undue expense.

Iwananew10k's suggestion probably fits the bill depending on how much wear there is and how much money can be spent.
In making repairs or adjustments on any machine knowing how to or being able to read the wear pattern and knowing what to do with it is the key. Iwananew10k's statement shows that. Sometimes the original design can be modified or improved after a machine gets some miles and shows its weaknesses in wear. I'm sure South bend and other builder made changes by studying their worn in house production lathe's. Its a good situation to do be in by using their product to make their product
Sorry if I got off topic. Daughty study your wear and read what these guys' suggest to help you make your decision.

deleted off topic material.

Back