What's new
What's new

QCTP for Heavy 10 - AXA or BXA?

Rob Mueller

Cast Iron
I'm going to either make or purchase a QCTP. those who have them, did you choose an AXA or BXA or your SB?

Did you buy with future expansion as a requirement? Is the BXA to big for a 10L?

thanks

Rob

Hi There,

I bought a BXA for my 11" Logan and it was too big. It would fit but I could not lower
the tool blocks low enough unless I set the QCTP over to allow the the block to clear
the side of the compound. Even so, I couldn't use the largest tool bits the blocks were
designed for. Just couldn't lower it enough.

So, I went with an AXA and have happy ever since. I do use the BXA on my 12 inch
Clausing.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Edit P.S. - If you move up to a larger lathe, you can put a spacer under the AXA QCTP
and use it on a larger lathe.

I have an AXA on a South Bend Model A 9N and on a 14" Lablond. It works fine on both even though I could use a larger one on the LeBlond. It is nice to beable to share tooling besides the AXA is cheaper. Gary P. Hansen

I run the AXA on my Heavy 10 and my 9". As Gary states it allows me to share tooling . I believe the BXA would be large, but since the AXA will handle tools up to 1/2 square if you were contemplating toolholders with larger shanks then the BXA would deserve some consideration.

Jim B.

Any size Aloris (or clone) tool post larger than an AKA is too large for a Heavy 10. For those familiar with the KDK tool post/holders, the KDK 100-series is the right size to use on an SB 9"/10K or Heavy 10.... The KDK tool holders for the 100's (unlike the Aloris AKA which will take tool bits up to 1/2") will only take up to a 3/8" tool bit.

My Heavy 10 had an Aloris "piston" type toolpost on it when I bought it. I picked up a new Aloris "wedge" type tool post and a couple extra tool holders for it last month when MSC had a 30% off sale. Gonna put it on my Heavy 10 when I get back together.

alg4884

do any of the QCTP have detents on the bottom for rotating the toolpost to predetermined locations?
My 4-way has a couple of ball bearings that let me automatically return to a number of angles.

Rob

>do any of the QCTP have detents on the bottom for rotating the toolpost to predetermined locations?

Have a look at the aloris catalog (I believe you can download it). They make some indexable
QC posts. Based on the prices of the plain posts, I bet those are really pricey.

Ken

Hi There,

Rob Mueller said:
do any of the QCTP have detents on the bottom for rotating the toolpost to predetermined locations?

QCTP generally do not have detents and are not intended to move after mounting. They
will have two sets of dove tails that allow the mounting of tool blocks on two adjacent
sides. Usually, the QCTP is mounted so that one set of dovetails hold the tool block for
turning (90 degrees to the axis of the spindle) and the other set of dovetails for boring
(parallel to the axis of the spindle).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

"They make some indexable QC posts. Based on the prices of the plain posts, I bet those are really pricey."

The Aloris indexable systems are made in BXA and larger, not AXA, and are called "BXA-I", etcetera.

These can accept four "I" type holders, or two "non-I" holders, or up to four modified "non-I" holders.

Figure on about $1,500 for a starter BXA-I set.

I have these on my 10EEs, and these are a good match for a lathe of that quality and precision.

I have an AXA on my Light-10.
Also, Dorian makes a larger AXA toolholder that can accomodate 3/4" shanks if you need it.

Regards
Dean

The import tool holders from CDCO Machinery Co are very good, and quite inexpensive.

Available in AXA and BXA, at least, and perhaps also in larger sizes.

Blackened to appear hardened, but not hardened.

Well finished, however.

The thing to remember about CDCO is the tool post is the piston type not the wedge type.
Most people prefer the wedge type tool holder, from what I have read.

I have a wedge type AXA on my H10 and it seems to be the perfect size.

Regards,
Kevin

I too have an AXA wedge type, chinese make on my Heavy 10 and it is the pefect size. It came with an Aloris piston type on it which the quality blows away the chinese one, but I had no holders for it so I just bought the whole setup off ebay. I was going to put the Aloris on ebay, not sure what it is worth, but it is in nice shape a real nice quality, If interested, make reasonable offer. I'm not trying to make a killing on it, just have no need for it now and I need to start cleaning out my garage with stuff I don't use.

Jeff Beck, at tools4cheap.net, has the best price on the AXA QC, wedge type, tool set. $125.
I have an AXA from him and it is good quality.

No affiliation.

Jim B.

Jeff Beck, at tools4cheap.net, has the best price on the AXA QC, wedge type, tool set. $125.
I have an AXA from him and it is good quality.

No affiliation.

Jim B.
I just got the same part yesterday...gotta love that big brown truck...that driver's my buddy...come to think of it, maybe the big brown truck didn't deliver it...my wife accepted it and brought it back to my office...complaining about the weight of the package...:rolleyes5:

It looks well built. I'll get it mounted this weekend most likely.

For the Original poster, I'm using it on a 9A, but I would think the 10 would use the same size. It is pretty big, much larger than the original lantern style tool post that came on my lathe from the factory.

Back