What's new
What's new

question about ordering parts from Plaza Machine

Mark D

Aluminum
I ordered a Delta grinder for sharpening carbide bits in my heavy 10 south bend from Joe at Plaza Machine about a month ago . I sent money order and he said he recieved it and would send it out as soon as he could . that was a month ago . Anyone else have the same experience with plaza machine ? thx! Mark

It's a slower pace of life at Plaza Machinery. For me, it sometimes takes 2 or 3 weeks to get a reply back on questions, but a month to get an item you have paid for seems a bit much. I know Joe goes walkabout sometimes for weeks at a time. He's a standup guy, just not the fastest.

I'm about 6 weeks into waiting for a reply about a lathe chuck, but he does have a good reputation for quality and honesty. I got a note that things were very busy, and he would answer me soon. I'm not in a rush, so I'll wait...

If you want fast service, try Al Babin. Regards, Clark

Your kidding right? I had no idea who "Al Babin" is so I did a Google search and boy did I get an ear (eyes) full!!! I suggest doing the same search to anyone who is inclined to want to deal with Al.:eek:

As far as Plaza Machine goes, I tried to deal with Joe once and found it frustrating. Getting an answer was really difficult. Life is too short for some of the unnecessary frustration that some businesses seem to thrive at.

I've purchased several items from Ted Pflugner (SBLatheman) and can say it's a pleasure. He's quick to respond and ships immediately upon receiving payment. He doesn't always have what I need, darn it, but he's had most of the things I wanted.:)

I also have gotten stuff from both. Ted is great to work with and quick. Joe is also good to work with. He is just not in a big hurry.

you guys just scared me. I sent joe at plaza machine a money order last Friday (day after thanksgiving) for a spindle collar and spindle sleeve for my heavy 10 so that I can use 5-c collets ; along with a spanner wrench for the collar. we actually e-mailed back and forth the day before thanksgiving. 3 messages each the same day that I contacted him. I don't own a collet yet and just started to assemble my lathe after tear down, soda blast, prime and paint. VFD ,large dials, new 3 jaw, very nice used 4 jaw and new bearings. even though it will be a while before I will do anything with collets;I STILL WANT MY STUFF!!. i'll get back to this site when I get it and let you guys know how long it took. on another note. I have a question about how high I can raise my lathe off the floor and still be stable. i'll post that question on the general discussion section to get more response

I like Joe myself, you gotta keep on him, but he's a good guy in my book.

You can pay more and get things faster, that much ain't rocket science. :rolleyes5:

I think mentioning Al Babin was Clark's attempt at humor, but if not I sure got a laugh out of it... :D

I would call him
I have use Plaza for few parts over the years and I found phoning work the best Note it may take more that one phone call and if get machine DO NOT LEAVE MESAGE . He may never call back. I
will say I got ever thing I ever order from Plaza

Have great week or ????
Dave

QUOTE=Mark D;2430745]I ordered a Delta grinder for sharpening carbide bits in my heavy 10 south bend from Joe at Plaza Machine about a month ago . I sent money order and he said he recieved it and would send it out as soon as he could . that was a month ago . Anyone else have the same experience with plaza machine ? thx! Mark[/QUOTE]

I have dealt with Joe at Plaza for years. He is honest and reliable. He is also kind of slow-paced. It's just his style--I wouldn't be worried about getting your goods or your money back, eventually.

Some people are Manhattan and fiber optics.

Some people are Vermont and horse-and-buggy.

Guess where Plaza is.

well, like I said yesterday. "i'll let you guys know when I get my stuff from plaza" got it today 1 week from the day I put the money order in the mail. pa. to vt. and back. I guess the moon was in the right phase. don't have the lathe together, but, i'll have a lot of stuff for it when I do

porthos

update ! Joe never sent my grinder , I had to email him for refund after a month . will never order from him again.

Mark,

Sorry to hear that.. I got the impression working with Joe that he's a bit absent minded sometimes. I purchased a taper attachment from him for my 10K, sent back the non taper attachment parts I didn't need (as requested / was the deal), including the gib. He called me twice to ask where the gib was, and the second time he recalled as we talked that he had already called me. I know I sent it with the cross slide cover / other parts, it wasn't in my little home shop, and I had no other reason to keep it or give it away to anyone. It appears from my interactions he's a "write it on a to do list" sort of guy, with several piles of "to do" work around his shop. These are my impressions, as I've never been to his shop. The result is spotty customer service.

I've also worked with Ted / SBLatheman.. There is no finer SBL person..excellent knowledge, willing to share, decent prices, decent inventory, and if he's not super busy willing to give leads to help find info or parts for anything SBL. He's the model of customer service, imho.

Sounds like there is an interesting story behind Al Babin .. Seems like my next Google search is already mapped out for me.

Dennis

Warning - save your time, stop reading now, this content is zero use to anyone.

I could not resist it. I Googled, or should it be googled? Al Babin.

The first result was PM.

The second result was an obituary, so stop complaining the service is poor.

You were warned.

Rich

update ! got the refund . I still wont order from him . should not have to wait a month for someone to send out a grinder . take 4 bolts off of stand and put it in a box . no excuse for a month wait. thx! Mark

Back