What's new
What's new

Question about SB change gears

haggard616

Plastic
I have a rare model 408-Y 8" South Bend. This model used gears that are 18dp, 5/8 bore, and 3/16 key way. Fortunately, with the advice from members here, I was able to buy a 9" SB change gear set and just bore them out from 1/2"-5/8. They work perfectly. The only gear I cannot find is a 64 tooth 18dp. My lathe has 3 stud gears- 16, 32 & 64. I have a 16 & 32, but cannot find the 64. The 64 is important to me as its needed for 12tpi and 32tpi.. There's others of course, those are just the big two I can think of off the top of my head.
Anyway, I just need to find a 64t 18dp gear. The bore diameter is irrelevant, I'll bore or bush it. My question is- Did South Bend make a 64t gear for any of their lathes? I can easily find 64t gears online, but they're for the quick change gear box. I need a 64t stud or screw gear.. Doesn't matter as long as it's 18dp I suppose. Please help. I've been looking for 1 year+
If you could email me with any leads or advice- [email protected]
I've tried tracking down someone to make one for me.. That seems less likely than just getting lucky and finding one on eBay. Either the person/business doesn't have 18dp cutters, or those that do, don't want feel like making one gear for me I guess. I don't have capability to make the gear myself and most likely won't for a long time.

If you will buy the correct gear cutter (ebay) and supply the cutter, gear dimensions, and the material for the gear, I will make it for you. The only charge will be that I keep the gear cutter.

Back