What's new
What's new

Question- boring bar tool holder design BXA-

V-100

Plastic
Greetings,
I recently put a Aloris BX tool post on my SB 13. I am looking at a boring bar holders (3/4", leaning towards an import).

How does the clamp illustrated below work. Looks like the clamp screws are off to the side. Is there a wedge in the system. Looks like a thread masher

Is the Aloris (or import which I have yet to find) slot type (ex- BXA-4D or perhaps the -100) a better way to clamp than the mystery system seen below?

Thank you. Jim

44.JPG

Thanks for that and the link.

Here is a pic. Old school lathe, like what I used 42y ago. Some serious compound rest scars. Kids must set the feed then gone to lunch... maybe more than a few times.
IMG_0255 - Copy.jpg

How does the clamp illustrated below work. Looks like the clamp screws are off to the side. Is there a wedge in the system. Looks like a thread masher

The screws up top pull up wedges from below.
Added difference from your tail-stock or a quill lock is the collapsing sleeve inside so you don't scar the body.
Much stiffer and better damping than a top screw model and allows you to orient the bar any which way you like radially effectively changing the cutting geometry.
Bob

Check Shars.com. I have most of my tool holders from them. They work just as well as the Aloris and Dorian holders at about half the price.

Tom

Caveat: The allen screws suck. Get a box of good screws from McMaster Carr. Then they are close to as good as Aloris or Dorian.

Back