What's new
What's new

Question regarding the value of a 10" Collet lathe

JohnH22

Plastic
104.jpgHello, my apologies if this is not the correct forum for a question like this.

My father passed away earlier this year, and I am needing to get rid of his South Bend lathe. However, I'm having trouble trying to determine even a range of what it may be worth. What I know is that he purchased it used back in 1970, but never set it up until just a few years ago. For that reason, it's in very good condition. I've written South Bend lathe, checked other reference, but just can't come up with any advice. Does anyone here have a contact that might be able to give me some rough estimate of it's value? I've attached a picture and have others if that would help.

Thank you so much for any advice you can provide.

Regards.

Attachments

• 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 262
What you have shown looks promising. Taper attachment looks to be there, threading dial, collet closer - all positives. What other pieces do you have for it? A full set of collets and a steady rest (ring sort of thing with three fingers pointing in) would be beneficial. Easily moved by 'two guys and a pickup', so it is a sought after size.

In the right end of the bed, if I remember right, there should be a serial number stamped. That would help pin down the exact model and year, although I will guess others can tell from the photos alone.

In this area (MD) I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that, from what you have shown already, on Craigslist for $2500.
Condition of spindle bearings and bed will have an impact, but that is harder to judge by photos.

Looks like a 10L (heavy ten) of late 40's early 50's vintage. Serial # would identify it better.Spindle thread protector,collet adapter and lever type closer add approx. $300 in value. Large dial compound, and taper attachment add value.Condition (wear) is most important. Tooling, such as 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks, faceplate, dog driver plate,centers (live and dead), spindle adapter to MT (morse taper), drill chuck for tailstock,and toolholders for the lantern, would help make a $2500 package. Base lathe in Indiana ? Probably $1000 or less. My opinion only. Hope this helps. PB

Heavy Ten? I can hear the hobbyist's jumping on it from here! :D

About $1500 sounds right, maybe a bit more if the ways are in good shape. The lever collet closer is somewhat unusual, and it's a single tumbler model which I'm fond of because you can change feedrates without turning off the spindle.

and it's a single tumbler model which I'm fond of because you can change feedrates without turning off the spindle.
Would you care to explain why?
For what its worth I change feed rates on the fly with my double tumbler gear box and when in back gear even use the reverse tumbler to change directions on the fly.

Here in Phoenix $2000-2500 with what I can see. Your area with more machines available $1500-1700. But as said condition-condition etc. has a big bearing on price.

For what its worth I change feed rates on the fly with my double tumbler gear box and when in back gear even use the reverse tumbler to change directions on the fly.

This is not a Synchromesh transmission. They are not designed to enable you to shift gears while the machine is running. That's why it says, "do not shift gears while lathe is running" on the gear shift plate. If you wish to do it, do it at your own risk. But be aware you will eventually strip or break a gear. and if you break one gear, you will probably need to replace multiple gears because of the broken parts getting wedged in other gears. that is another reason why they provide a clutch on the apron. So you do not need to shift gears while the machine is running.

stay safe and have fun. And stop your machine, before you shift gears.

Joe.

The single tumbler model has a dog tooth clutch on the upper shifter lever, so it is not tips of gear teeth that make/break contact.

Nothing else geared on these lathes is made to be shifted on the fly.

allan

"when in back gear even use the reverse tumbler to change directions on the fly. "

Don't do that.

Agree on the ballpark estimate of the machine, depending on condition and location it is
between 800 and 2000.

A good photo of the bed near the headstock and a picture of any other accessories would
go a good way to nailing that down closer.

Thank you all for your advice. The lathe does come with a considerable amount of additional pieces, collets, etc.

20170118_112454.jpg20170118_112118.jpg

I'm in Indiana also. If the boxes have in them what is written on the out side and if included I'd advertise on Craig's list for $2,500, be willing to drop to $2,000 and give it a few months. If you are in a hurry start at $1,500 and be willing to come down to $1,000, be gone in a week.

I see labeled on the boxes among other things a tool post Grinder, a palmgern milling attachment, collets, chucks etc. The boxes stuff is we worth $1,000 alone and more if includes with the lathe. This package looks like it came out of a school and if so would have little ware.

Oh, and it has the larger spindle bore.

Shifting the top lever on a single tumbler gearbox is just fine. No gears engage or disengage. Why on earth would you slam the reversing gear in and out while the spindle is running?

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Back