What's new
What's new

rebuilding 10L carriage

SBboy!

Plastic
Was given a nice old(1942) 10L that saw a lot of use then parked for years in storage. I've been using an old (1944) SB-16 for thirty years and would like something a little lighter to do small jobs with occasionally. I started rebuilding the 10L ,stripping it to the bed. Most parts are in amazing good shape except(guess) In the rebuilding process i have found a lot of wear on the carriage ways(no real surprise). The bed, not so much.There is a ridge near the top of the ^ s that represents whats left of the original surface(i assume) with a worn way below(0.015" difference - depth of face to ridge). I have read some in the forum on rebuilding but have not heard much detail about milling an even amount off the ways(say 0.020) to get an even, flat base and then using a bronze alloy like #510(Rockwell 76-80 & spring temper) as a new bearing surface on the carriage ways.It comes in thin sheets, up to 0.025". I'm not sure how workable #510 is. I have a sheet ordered from McMaster and will try shearing and folding (90deg) it to size to fit. If i fold the ends up at the carriage ends behind the wipers it should stay in place. Has anyone used a flat bronze bearing? I read stories about using Moglice to build up or flat plastic bearings like Rulon or Vespel which sounded more like horror stories due to their ability to be easily scratched. Anyone use good old bronze? If its easily worn, its also easily replaced.

This never received a reply. It's something I've been kicking around for a buildup option on saddle ways on a Clausing lathe.

I'd prefer a leaded bronze, but none seems available in shim stock that I can find.

Thinking of Turcite B, but really don't want to use it. Cost being the main factor. But I'm not opposed to using it, if it's the most viable solution.

Back