What's new
What's new

Rebuilt my South Bend lathe

RaceCarbs

Plastic
I bought this lathe about a year ago. It seemed tight and quiet but you can see the mess it was in. I took it apart and replaced everything that needed replacing and stripped it and repainted it. I still need to go through the chucks, and the taper attachment is missing some pieces so it's not on yet, but I wanted to show it off. Also the belt is just laying there. I still need to splice it. I found instructions on how to splice it and will be doing that tomorrow. I didn't paint the cabinet because I wanted to leave some of the old look just for fun. Here's a sample and there are some before and after pictures in the photobucket link.

South Bend Rebuilt by 71FLH2 | Photobucket

Wow, that looks great.

Any tips or tricks for someone who is undertaking the same task? I'm really nervous about painting it.

Sometimes I get tired of being the curmudgeon.
You are new here.
Nice paint job.

However; clean, paint, minor fix and adjust does not = "rebuild" in machine tool terms.
Rebuild or restore in machine tool terms means return machine geometry and alignments to factory original with correct way surface and bearing condition. Besides scraping or grinding (or both) all the ways, it could also included things like correcting the TS base for droop, and possibly boring the TS and sleeving it or chroming the quill and grinding it, to restore to correct vertical alignment with the headstock.

You can rebuild a machine tool without painting it. That part is optional.

So, nice work. but not close to a rebuild. If you did rebuild it, there is a rebuild section of PM where you can show your work remachining & scraping the castings. Or you can browse there to get a better understanding of what is entailed in a machine tool re-build.

smt

Sometimes I get tired of being the curmudgeon.
You are new here.
Nice paint job.

However; clean, paint, minor fix and adjust does not = "rebuild" in machine tool terms.
Rebuild or restore in machine tool terms means return machine geometry and alignments to factory original with correct way surface and bearing condition. Besides scraping or grinding (or both) all the ways, it could also included things like correcting the TS base for droop, and possibly boring the TS and sleeving it or chroming the quill and grinding it, to restore to correct vertical alignment with the headstock.

You can rebuild a machine tool without painting it. That part is optional.

So, nice work. but not close to a rebuild. If you did rebuild it, there is a rebuild section of PM where you can show your work remachining & scraping the castings. Or you can browse there to get a better understanding of what is entailed in a machine tool re-build.

smt

Meh, pretty much why I don't hang out here much.

I don't think you did too badly; you got two sincere compliments and a gentle reminder of what a rebuild, in machine tool terms, actually is. Sorry you got your feelings hurt; Steven is one of our more restrained members. We have lots of other talented posters who would have, with some justification, blowtorched your intelligence for calling a repaint and tuneup a rebuild. When you get to feeling better, come back and visit, lots of good info here. Bill S

Well done. You must be very happy. Try not to be too bothered by the semantics police. If you were rebuilding and old engine I doubt you'd be shouted down for not getting the cams ground back to perfection. It's and old argument and is as tiresome now as when I first saw it.

Be proud of your rebuild and thanks for sharing. It looks great.

Oh, and there is no 'rebuild' forum on pm, the forum is 'reconditioning'. Perhaps the " that's not a rebuild" crew should be restraining their comments to those that say they are 'reconditioning' when they are not. :-)

Last edited:
If you were rebuilding and old engine I doubt you'd be shouted down for not getting the cams ground back to perfection.

Excellent example, but your analysis is wrong:
If you gave the engine a tune up, replaced the belts and tidied up the engine compartment, painted the block, then called that a rebuild, you'd get ragged mercilessly.

But you could blueprint the engine, not paint it, and people would still accept that it was a rebuild.

Same thing with machine tools.

:)

smt

You could also strip it down and clean it and replace the gaskets and rings and bearings and shims *and* paint it and people would call it a rebuild - which is what most people seem to do with their SBs - not just paint. I don't think anyone would think a tune and paint and a can or three of degreaser constituted an engine rebuild.

However, I do think anyone that gives their time and effort to love and make an old machine better in whatever sliding scale there is deserves support and congrats, not pedantry - another one saved. Typically those people are, like me, new to machining and some, like me, will too try to learn reconditioning - in the real sense. If we heaped scorn and derision upon all who embarked on such a journey life would be pretty bleak indeed and this forum would not be the welcoming place I have found it. If you have something to offer then help people learn, but reactions like

"Meh, pretty much why I don't hang out here much"

just show the opposite is being achieved.

But, so as not to hijack this happy news thread with yet more meaningless and distracting semantics (apologies for the rant everybody!!) I am opting out here and will close off with yet another 'well done" to Mr RaceCarbs.

"well done Mr RaceCarbs"!

You could also strip it down and clean it and replace the gaskets and rings and bearings and shims *and* paint it and people would call it a rebuild - which is what most people seem to do with their SBs - not just paint. I don't think anyone would think a tune and paint and a can or three of degreaser constituted an engine rebuild.

Fair enough. To a point.
I think anything called a "rebuild" needs to have a full test regime and notation done showing deviation from new or correct limits. If you drop the crank set out of that engine, stick a glaze breaker/ball hone in the bores and push it all back together with new rings, is it a rebuild? That is closer to what people who clean and paint their SB's do. No measurements, keep the loose tolerances, and call it good.

Be very clear that I do not fault this approach. I am a fan of "In praise of junkers". I'm more impressed with good work off sloppy ugly machines. Making the lathe functional and using it are what it is all about. But it is not a rebuild.

Here's a couple litmus tests.
1.) if a dealer showed a shiny lathe with new paint, told you it was rebuilt and priced it as such, what level of reconditioning would you accept as a true rebuild?

2.) If you performed what you want to call a rebuild, would you confidently place it in the Rebuild forum of PM and list it as such showing your work? They do show and appreciate painting. So maybe the lathe in question would pass, if all the alignment tests were in tolerance.

So i guess doing work for yourself, anything that makes you feel happy can be called a "rebuild". As soon as it is represented to others either for commercial reasons or for kudos, there are accepted (though somewhat flexible) standards.

If someone runs off because this type discussion was initiated, they personally didn't have much to offer other members anyway even if they make Faberge eggs on the side.

smt

Your southbend lathe, I need to rebuild an 11 inch and need a to of tooling but a threading indicator I really need , do you know where icanfind one?
Thankyou.
Gee joe

Here's a couple litmus tests.
1.) if a dealer showed a shiny lathe with new paint, told you it was rebuilt and priced it as such, what level of reconditioning would you accept as a true rebuild?

2.) If you performed what you want to call a rebuild, would you confidently place it in the Rebuild forum of PM and list it as such showing your work? They do show and appreciate painting. So maybe the lathe in question would pass, if all the alignment tests were in tolerance.

Stephen, I, like StrayAlien, have been turned off from time to time by comments from some of the more "senior" members of this forum when new members are excited to share their first steps toward machine rebuilding. I'm especially turned off when carpet bombers come out from under their rocks on the LeBlonde or Monarch forums (fora?) to dump on any South Bend regardless of the level of restoration put into it (not you, but others who seem to go out of their way to do so).

I'm on my own journey, somewhere between excited newbie and Edward Connelly understudy. Any stumbling blocks we as a community can remove for others starting out we should do. At the same time, we need to find a way to communicate, in terms which aren't demotivating, what the standards are, or ought to be, for restoration of a machine tool. Perhaps we can impose upon Brad Jacob to start a new sticky thread with something along those lines, then fill it with a spirited debate from people like yourself, John Oder, SBLatheman, and others with an opinion who aren't afraid to share them.

All that said, your rationale above is completely sound and I can't take issue with either litmus test. Especially #1.

Thanks,

Tom

My 1956 vintage SB 9" Model A hadn't turned for about 30 years. The bed has some wear, but I'm not going there. It was filthy, the wicks are all hardened and some of the bearing surfaces are scored. I have polished the rolling elements, rebushed, cleaned, rewicked and painted the parts, and mounted to a firm table. In other words, an unusable lathe is now usable.

Maybe not a rebuild, but some pretty intensive labor to make it work.

John

At the same time, we need to find a way to communicate, in terms which aren't demotivating, what the standards are, or ought to be, for restoration of a machine tool.
Tom -

I really think that is where Stephen, and others, are coming from - improving the communication and educating.

As a friend of mine used to say - 'Words are weapons, choose them carefully'. Now he was talking, literally, about the words that defined the application of weapons. But proper terminology is very important, no matter what it is we are discussing.

By trade I'm a mechanical engineer - who never actually worked much as one, in the classic sense. And I have rebuilt a few engines in my time - not blueprinted, but doing my best to meet the tolerances required as designed. A good enough carpenter my one friend who makes his living as one keeps telling me 'get a magnetic sign for your truck, you do better than a lot of them'. But when I've tackled big projects I hire him and become the assistant. As Clint Eastwood said - 'A man has to know his limitations'.

This site bills itself as for professionals - and it is amazing the wide ranges of professionals who will pipe up, in their particular area of expertise. But by just reading and learning one can learn a lot and chime in when having something to offer. Every profession has its terminology and definition. Even within industry different companies can have totally different definitions of the same word. In the world of printed wiring product (or multi layer interconnecting boards), for example, IBM had one definition for 'layer' and the rest of industry had another. But if you were going to work in those circles one had to know the difference to carry on an intelligent conversation. Same here.

I did not hear the work done by the OP criticized - more of informing what terms mean. I turn 66 tomorrow and I'm still learning, building on the experiences of those years. And I try to learn something new every day - here and other places. But often time out in the shop being it building a cabinet, piece of furniture, welding or trying to machine a part to fix some piece of equipment. I was trying to explain all that to my 7 year old grandson today when he commented 'you could buy a new one'. But after talking he agreed making something was more fun. I'm trying to instill in him a bit of problem solving, skills and appreciation for working with one's hands. Hopefully I last long enough and am successful at some level.

I'm a guy who sometimes paints and pretties up something, but usually not. Depends on the situation. Nothing against the painting, and I wish I could do it as well as some who have shown their work here. To me the mechanical part of the machine is more important. I do have a SB that will get the paint treatment - along with a total cleaning and check out, hopefully this winter, but not a rebuild as properly defined. But to each his own.

Life's too short for arguments over semantics. And I really don't remember any of the more senior contributors really blasting anyone on this sub forum. This one is pretty tame and leeway given.

Any professional I have ever worked with would question and correct - and also take the same in kind when the shoe was on the other foot. I've received and given constructive criticism over the years. But then I never considered those who flamed everyone as professionals. As a curmudgeon at my old age I can act that way.

Dale

Back