What's new
What's new

Recently became an owner of a Tool Room Heavy - 10 WW II era..

RayKehrhan

Aluminum
I'm new over here in this forum.. I have been on the Antique Machine for a number of years.. I had an opportunity to acquire a Heavy 10, that required a delicate and tedious removal. It had been in the same family for 51 years. The grandfather was a shop teacher and purchased the lathe in 1963 or so. It had been in the same location all that time. Needless to say I'm thrilled to now have the lathe. It came pretty much complete with all the original accessories.. looks like the machine is missing the follower rest.. The only rust is at the feet of the cabinet, due to the basement floor.. I Thought photos might be in order so here they are.. Can anybody date the lathe for me??

$_57.jpg $_57-2.jpg $_57-5.jpg $_57-7.jpg IMG_8024.jpg

First off, awesome machine! I love mine!

You have a single tumbler gearbox, just so you know, which helps date the machine. A serial number would help. If you go to Grizzly.com, you can pay $20 for the original sales order form and where it was delivered etc. pretty cool.
It's also great to know that the machine has been in the same place for so long too, right?

Bernie

Very Nice! Chucks,face plate, dog driver, mic. stop, steady rest, and taper attachment. Add a collet adapter and collets and you will have everything a man could need with a "heavy ten". Good luck with it.PB

Thanks for all the encouragement.. It is a large bore machine... I did get a couple of 5C Collet adapters and a bucket of 5C collets with the lathe.. As for the serial number it is 120553 followed by D.D.W. and below J.A.N. Anybody know what those initials mean???

SB Heavy 10 Tool Room Lathe Catalog photo.jpg Screen Shot 2015-04-05 at 9.10.39 PM.jpg

Got the Serial Number Card from South Bend for 120553 Heavy Ten

Hi,

I received the serial number card for the heavy 10L that I recently acquired. It went the the Commanding Officer of the Frankford Arsenal in Philadelphia PA on March 4th of 1942..

Anybody have information on the role of the Frankford Arsenal in WW II

120553.jpg

Thanks
Ray

Here is some information on the Commanding officer at the time & the Arsenal

John Boursiquot Rose
Date of birth: January 4, 1885
Date of death: January 13, 1966

John Rose graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, Class of 1907. He retired as a U.S. Army Brigadier General.
AWARDS AND CITATIONS

Legion of Merit

SYNOPSIS: Colonel John Boursiquot Rose, United States Army, was awarded the Legion of Merit for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services to the Government of the United States as Commanding Officer, Frankford Arsenal, from 1942 to 1945.

Action Date: 1942 - 1945

Service: Army

History of the Arsenal

Opened in 1816 on 20 acres (8.1 ha) of land purchased by President James Madison, it was the center of U.S. military small-arms ammunition design and development until its closure in 1977. Among the many other products manufactured at the arsenal were fire-control and range-finding instruments, and gauges for these components.[3]

With the outbreak of the Civil War, the arsenal's commander, Josiah Gorgas, resigned and joined the Confederate States Army in deference to the wishes of his Alabama-born wife and reporting to the Confederate capital in Richmond with a large supply of U.S. Army guns and ammunition. By the end of the war, the arsenal employed over 1,000 workers. It served as a major site for the storage of weapons and artillery pieces, a depot for the repair of artillery, cavalry and infantry equipment, repair and cleaning of small arms and harnesses, the manufacture of percussion powder and Minié balls, and the testing of new forms of gunpowder and time fuses. During the Gettysburg Campaign, the arsenal provided tens of thousands of muskets and vast supplies of ammunition for Pennsylvania's "Emergency Militia" regiments. Among the innovations extensively tested at the Arsenal was the Gatling Gun, an early form of machine gun that saw extensive service in the Indian Wars.

During World War I and World War II, the arsenal was again busy with supplying the war efforts, providing a major source of jobs and income for the region. At times, employment reached 22,000.

The Frankford Arsenal was an entity unto itself, a virtual city within a city, and contained everything from its own police and fire departments, Buildings and Grounds, dining halls, as well as everything from maintenance and motor pool, to a complete medical facility. The Arsenal was part of the U.S. Arsenal System-dedicated military establishments spread throughout the country to perform specific military missions for the Government.

From the beginning, the Frankford Arsenal was involved in the design and manufacture of munitions. As military weapons became more complex, the Center's role expanded to cover the development of a whole range of the Army's more advanced weapon systems. The Arsenal contained the world-famous Pitman-Dunn Laboratories along with a number of other R&D departments. Arsenal scientists and engineers designed and developed everything from basic materials to LASER guided ballistics, all produced entirely in-house from the concept phase to the fielding of the equipment. New portable and imbedded computer applications saw the development of the LASER rangefinder, fielded artillery computational machines (FADAC) and radar systems. During the Vietnam War, experiments in caseless ammunition, far-infrared low-light-level technologies, and advanced LASER applications were under development.

The labs were supported by a full range of first-class drafting and machine shops scattered throughout the many buildings of the Center. Everything from milling, to electroplating, to multi-layer printed circuit board fabrication could be accomplished by “The Shops”. The Optical Lens Design Facility was one of the finest in the country. The Optical Assembly shop also refurbished field binoculars.

Source Wikipedia

Ray

Last edited:
That's the same cabinet as I have on my Heavy 10. Only my lathe is truly a Frankenlathe since the bed was built in 1958 (hardened) according to serial number and card from Grizzly, the headstock has segmented iron bearings which means it's from the early forties, the tailstock has the "newer" look and I have no idea of the pedigree of the carriage. Either the guy who assembled this thing really knew what he was doing or he was extraordinarily lucky because the lathe is a really sweet machine and very accurate. I did some work on the tailstock because it had the handwheel and screw from a 9 or 10K lathe and wouldn't always eject centers and drill chucks. I made a new screw for it and got a larger heavier handwheel from ENCO and machined it to fit. The whole thing works very well so sometimes you get lucky when you go with the Frankenlathe.

Ray,
The serial number is really odd for an April 1942 machine.
My identical Heavy 10 has the gearbox speed/feed plate that states 10" like yours (not '10 inch' as on most 1942 models), the lack of the bull gear pin cover and lube plate on the cone cover all indicate 1940 to very early 1942. The cover & lube plate began about mid 1942.
However, my delivery date is Dec 19th, 1941, while my Serial No is 121,445. This indicates your bed (with a serial nearly 900 earlier than mine) should have been manufactured around June/July 1941, but then went AWOL for about 9 months.
Suggest you have a look at Steve Wells SB Workshop site and read the serial dates listed there.
Skilly

Skilly,

I went to the Steve Wells SB site, and see what you mean. However, The serial number is very clear on the bed and the South Bend card is also clear that it was delivered on March 4, 1942 to the Arsenal... See earlier posts for photos of each. The bed must have been hanging around in inventory for some time... Notice on the Card that the order date was January 7 of 1942... One would wonder how long it took to assemble the order and then ship it to the Arsenal...

My guess is we will never know...

Ray

Ray Kerhan,

Your lathe has a cool history. It would be interesting to know what it was used for at the Frankford arsenal but you know it was used to further America's military might in the war effort.

My own heavy 10 was ordered in October 1942 and delivered January 1943 to the Marietta Airplane Assembly Plant in Marietta, GA where they built 665 B29 bombers from 1942 through 1945.

Vlad

Awesome histories on those 10's. I have one made in 1957, and it's history isn't anything like what you guys have. Good to see they have survived all these years, as I'm sure many have fell victim to metal salvagers.

Back