What's new

Regrind Bed in/near New Jersey

• Thread starter Steve Billinson
  • Start date
  • Replies 8
  • Views 2,898
S

Steve Billinson

Any recommendation for someone in or around New Jersey with a good reputation who can regrind a heavy 10 bed and rescrape the saddle? Any help would be appreciated.

SB

You might try Garden State Mach Tool Service. This is the guy that did the scraping demos at cabin fever. I was really impressed by this guys attitude, demeanor, and knowledge he displayed at these two sessions he put on. Very approachable guy.

I have never had any work done by him. But in talking and interacting with him at the scraping demos he did at cabin fever (2003 & 2004) I wouldn't hesitate to send work to him.

Usual disclaimers, not in any way affiliated w/ him, YMMV.

Garden State Mach Tool Serv
E Hanover, NJ
973-952-0090

I will second the reccommendation for Rich Zipper of Garden State Machine Tools.
I've Known Rich for many years. He has rebuilt several machines for me, including some 10" South Bends. He has a 10L South bend at home, so he knows the machines.
He does great work.
Just remember, you get what you pay for in this world. Don't expect him to work cheap.

Regards,
Dave Ficken
Meridian Machinery

Thanks a bunch for the recommendation. It's appreciated.

Regards,

SB

From what I'm told it depends on the bed length and condition. South Bend wants roughly $1600 to surfaces the bed and scrape the saddle. It's not too much cheaper to do it locally.

But, figure this: Buy a Chinese lathe from harbor frieght and you pay about $2000 and it's really not going to be anything great; buy a used South Bend for less than $1000, take it apart, clean it up, replace/repair broken parts and have the bed reground. You probably end up spending close to $3000 when all is said and done, but you'll have a near perfect (if not perfect) south bend lathe that if properly taken care of can be handed down to your grandson still in fine working order. Also, $3000 is less than a third of what a new South Bend would cost.

Just my .02.

Steve

I realize that this is the other side of the country but I called Schaffer Grinding in Montebello (thanks, Les!) and was given a price of $425 to grind the bed and $675 to do both the bed and saddle. This is for a 4' 10 L. I think the guy I bought my 13" from had the bed ground there, also.

Garden State quoted me a price of $1200 to do my 14 1/2" x 24" SBL several years ago. When I move, I'll seriously consider getting the job done. The lathe is tired and needs some work. It's what Dave at Meridian calls a "clunker".

Then, I'll look around for a gear head machine to supplement it.

Back