What's new
What's new

Removing L00

jimmyb11

Aluminum
New to me is the L00 spindle nose. I have the requisite spanner to remove the chuck but wanted to confirm the direction that the locking ring must travel during removal. Is it away from the operator (CW) or toward the operator (CCW). Thanks.

Looking from the tailstock, it should turn clockwise to loosen. Put a board on the lathe ways to protect them from a falling chuck.

Barron

Hello jimmyb11,
As I recall the L00 thread is a standard right-hand pitch. Viewed from the back of the chuck it is "righty tighty - lefty loosey". Thus to loosen that L00 retaining ring your spanner turns over the top and away from you.

OOPS !!! Ex post facto... I see that Barron beat me to it.
Gary in AZ

Last edited:
If you don't have one of Walter A's spanners, you should get one. My stock L0 wrench was tiny compared to Walter's. The L00 is only marginally smaller in Walter's specs. They really offer a great deal of leverage both in tightening and loosening. A really nice spanner.

+1 on Walter A's Spanner wrenches. My lathe has an LO spindle. I purchased a spanner from him a couple years ago. Very nice.

Barron

Thanks to all, chuck removed, everything is in excellent condition, .001" spindle run out, all is right with the world.

Back